Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Option Key not working to switch OS and stuck on poorly functioning windows 7 professional on bootcamp

MacBook Pro from 2012/2013 not sure which. I updated OS Sierra a few days ago and then went on bootcamp via target disk (option key hasn’t been working on startup for me to choose disk drive). Since then I’ve been stuck on windows. I can’t find my Mac on disk my computer/drives or on bootcamp control panel. When I click on restart in OS X.. from bootcamp icon tray it just restart straight into windows! Moreover many of my windows updates failed. I’m have trouble on the windows side and I would like to just go back to my Mac but it doesn’t seem like I can. When restarting, booting up often fails and I have to force shutdown using the power button many times before I’m able to load windows successfully. Please help me get back on my Mac 🙏🙏🙏🙏

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 10:36 AM

7 replies

Feb 1, 2020 3:48 PM in response to honirani

The driver was only so you could recover your data if you needed it.

The best thing you can do is erase the whole physical drive and reinstall macOS. To do this you can either boot into Recovery Mode (Command + R) or Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) so you can use Disk Utility to erase the physical drive. which will be listed something like "Apple SSD SM128....". If you have a Windows keyboard, then the Command key may be the "Windows" key.

You can also create a bootable macOS USB installer if you have access to another Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Jan 17, 2020 8:35 PM in response to BDAqua

No! Nothing works. I’ve tried a few combinations of keys on startup to try getting on Mac even on safe mode but nothing has worked so far. I think that when upgraded my OS on the Mac a couple of years ago something in my settings must have changed which disabled action of the inbuilt keyboard keys on startup. I haven’t been able to use the option key to switch between os since about two/3 yrs ago. I’ve always had to do it through target disk mode from bootcamp contrl panel.

Jan 19, 2020 10:32 AM in response to honirani

The "Alt" key should work as the "Option" key on macOS.

Removing Bootcamp won't help and if anything will most likely just make things worse.

If you don't have a backup and you can still boot into Windows, then you can install a third party driver in Windows to try and access your macOS partition and data. There is no guarantee this will work.

If the macOS volume is using HFS+, then use the trial version of Paragon's HFS+ driver:

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/

If the macOS volume is using APFS, then use this trial version of Paragon's APFS driver:

https://www.paragon-software.com/us/home/apfs-windows/

To check if you have a failing drive run GSmartControl from Windows and post the complete health report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

If you have the 13" MBPro 2012 non-Retina model, then you may have a defective hard drive cable. See if booting the drive externally with a USB to SATA Adapter, dock, enclosure works.

If you don't have a backup and need to recover data from the macOS portion of the drive, you may want to consider a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or Ontrack (both provide free estimates).

It sounds like it is time to repair or retire this laptop. At the very least you need to start regular system backups.

Feb 1, 2020 12:38 AM in response to HWTech

Hi again,

sorry for this this very late reply. I got fed up with and left it alone for a bit. I’ve followed your advice and downloaded the third party driver - APFS and I am now able to see my Mac via the driver. However I’m not sure how to restart in OS X from this? I would just like to get back on OS X and remove bootcamp completely from my MacBook Pro.

thanks so much for your help so far.

Option Key not working to switch OS and stuck on poorly functioning windows 7 professional on bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.