Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard

I just bought a new Magic Keyboard to replace one (out of warranty) that couldn't type an "o." It is configured for US, but the keycaps don't match what shows up. For instance, the key immediately to the left of the right shift key gets me slash and question mark (with shift), but the keycaps say hyphen and dash. Many of the keystrokes work the way my old magic keyboard is labeled, but the physical keyboard is slightly different. (For instance, the return/enter key is vertically oriented instead of horizontally, and the left shift key is narrower in the new keyboard. There's a new key to the left of Z, but it is labeled for less-than and greater-than, but I get back-tick and tilde instead. What's happening?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 11:54 AM

It sounds like you have the wrong Input Source selected in system preferences/keyboard/input sources. There should only be ONE item on the list, and the name of that item should probably be "Spanish ISO" for the output to match what is printed on the keys.

If your new Magic Keyboard was supposed to be for English, they have sent you the wrong one, it is most likely for Spanish instead.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2020 11:54 AM in response to danchall

It sounds like you have the wrong Input Source selected in system preferences/keyboard/input sources. There should only be ONE item on the list, and the name of that item should probably be "Spanish ISO" for the output to match what is printed on the keys.

If your new Magic Keyboard was supposed to be for English, they have sent you the wrong one, it is most likely for Spanish instead.

Jan 17, 2020 12:00 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks! That is consistent with what I was just coming to believe. I played an unboxing video for this model number, and it showed a regular US keyboard. I bought it in the Apple Store. The picture on the front of the box matched my old US keyboard. There's no indication in the packaging or labeling that this one is something different. But there's a C-with-cedilla keycap in addition to Ñ. So maybe it was packed incorrectly. I'm on my way to get a swap.

keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.