Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing dual mono (from stereo) in multicam clip?

I recorded two radio mics into a Zoom stereo, each mic isolated on its own track. I linked up the Zoom recorded audio to the multicam project; it's the principal audio track. I have two speakers on a stereo track all the way through the project - though each speaker has five minute sections, these aren't overlapping dialogue. I can make the stereo a dual mono. But I want to be able to dip one speaker or the other throughout the project: when one speaker is talking I don't want to hear the other breathing and reacting and scratching etc. etc.

Do I need to take that stereo audio into Logic and create two separate mono tracks and then re-sync them with the project and go through the track dipping and rising with keyframes?

Or is the way I can work with this using the FCPX Inspector, maybe doing cuts between the separate talks ...?? I'm not sure of the way to go.

Ben

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 2:09 PM

If you have the two speakers on separate tracks, and you set audio configuration to dual mono, don't you get separate tracks? In the multicam project you can expand the audio for the Zoom, which I presume runs the length of the project, and then mix between the two channels.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 17, 2020 2:31 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom,

It sounds like it makes sense what you say. I've got this thing happening though ... see attached screenshot: I've got things set to 'Dual Mono' in the Inspector. When I try to EXPAND AUDIO COMPONENTS that choice is greyed out. My only choice is EXPAND AUDIO. It's as if the audio is a video clip, and opening it up only drops the audio down, but doesn't split it to two mono tracks. . If I copy that clip OUT of the multicam project and put it on its own timeline then I can EXPAND AUDIO COMPONENTS and it works as you suggest, just fine. I'm wondering if I'm missing a click somewhere?? If I take the EXPANDED AUDIO COMPONENTS clip out of its own timeline and copy it back into the multicam as a new angle it seems to keep the separated tracks. So I can do that. But I'd love to know if I'm doing something wrong. It would be nice to be able to do it just as you suggest.

Jan 19, 2020 8:54 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom,

Duh. I started up this morning ... my head less wooly ... and discovered to my chagrin that when I set that particular audio angle to 'dual mono' then, in the project file, I can 'expand the audio components'. And have easy control over my two mono's. I must have been not-thinking properly yesterday. I appreciate very much your help. Thank you most kindly.

Ben

Editing dual mono (from stereo) in multicam clip?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.