Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth settings show keyboard--but I don't have a bluetooth keyboard

I have a 2019 iMac running Catalina. Occasionally, when the Mac comes out of sleep, the keyboard is not responsive and a warning appears, telling me the Mac cannot locate a bluetooth keyboard. But my keyboard is directly connected via a USB cable, not via bluetooth. There are no bluetooth keyboards in our household. The list of devices in the bluetooth settings shows a keyboard "Connected - Charged." Is that the source of my problem?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 1:12 PM

Please follow and work thru the troubleshooting steps,

at > If your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad isn't working as expected - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 18, 2020 5:55 AM in response to Johnb-one

I tried what you suggested. I "disconnected" the keyboard showing in the Bluetooth settings panel, then restarted my Mac. The keyboard simply reappeared.

Previously, when I have gotten the error message saying my Mac was unable to connect via bluetooth to my keyboard, I have turned off the keyboard switch, then turned it back on. The keyboard then worked, but I don't know if that was cause and effect or coincidence.

This is a new Mac, barely a month old. Is it possible the keyboard is faulty?

Bluetooth settings show keyboard--but I don't have a bluetooth keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.