Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I continue downloading security and Safari updates while on an older version of Mac OS?

I reverted from Catalina back to Mojave (Catalina does not work for my purposes). Is it possible for me to continue to download and install (even manually) security updates and updates to Safari while sticking with Mojave?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 11:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 3:24 AM

In System Preferences, go to Software updates and uncheck 'Automatically keep my Mac up to date.'

If you see 'More updates are available', click on 'More info' you might see this:

You can elect to install now, in which case this will involve a restart. Your iMac will download, but it will automatically restart. The process can take a little while. When it does restart, go and make yourself a cup of tea or coffee, or crack open a bottle or can of beer. 😀

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2020 3:24 AM in response to Matt B.R.

In System Preferences, go to Software updates and uncheck 'Automatically keep my Mac up to date.'

If you see 'More updates are available', click on 'More info' you might see this:

You can elect to install now, in which case this will involve a restart. Your iMac will download, but it will automatically restart. The process can take a little while. When it does restart, go and make yourself a cup of tea or coffee, or crack open a bottle or can of beer. 😀

Jan 18, 2020 12:19 AM in response to sapper

Thanks for the quick reply, Sapper! Well, I tried selecting my options accordingly...I left "Install Mac OS Updates" unchecked, and then went into the "Other updates" and checked both Safari and security updates, clicked on "Install now" and....it attempted to re-install Catalina! Grrrrrrr! It failed it that attempt, and froze up on me. Had to restore a Time Machine backup to get to where I was before the disaster. Hopefully it's not any inconvenience for you to please tell me how to set my update options in order to prevent my iMac to attempt any more OS updates? Thanks!!

Jan 18, 2020 4:57 AM in response to Matt B.R.

Historically, Apple has maintained the 3 most recent versions of macOS. The current release that may get functionality enhancements as well as security updates.

And the previous 2 macOS versions which get security updates, and on rare occasions enough functionally to allow that macOS to work with another Apple product (such as an iPhone or iPad).

Catalina 10.15 is the current release

Mojave 10.14 and High Sierra 10.13 are the other 2 releases that will be getting security updates.

Sometime around the Fall 2020, a new macOS 10.16 will be released and Mojave will be the oldest supported release.

Then in the Fall of 2021 macOS 10.17 should be released, and Mojave will no longer get security updates. That is your target date for figuring out what you are going to do. Stay with Mojave, or switch to a newer supported release.

All of this is based on 15 years of historical behavior. Apple could change the model they use at any time, so your mileage may vary.

Can I continue downloading security and Safari updates while on an older version of Mac OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.