Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to buy a customized MacBook Pro by walking into Apple store in the US without prior arrangements?

By customized I mean with added RAM and SSD (16Gb, 256Gb).

I know it's possible to order a customized configuration via website. But in this case such MacBook Pro will be available for pickup not earlier than in a month, website says. Unfortunately I don't have time since my upcoming trip to USA is shorter than that. Are there any other options available for me?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 7:32 AM

Built-to-order means the ordered computer is not yet built. Your specifications are channeled to the factory in China where your BTO computer is assembled. Once built at the factory in China your computer is scheduled for pickup at the factory then it is put in the delivery queue. Once picked up by the delivery service in China it is routed to a distribution center in your country. The computer is then sent to your location for local delivery. This can not happen instantaneously and the clock starts clicking when you submit your specs for the unique build. Why is this an issue?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2020 7:32 AM in response to smile421

Built-to-order means the ordered computer is not yet built. Your specifications are channeled to the factory in China where your BTO computer is assembled. Once built at the factory in China your computer is scheduled for pickup at the factory then it is put in the delivery queue. Once picked up by the delivery service in China it is routed to a distribution center in your country. The computer is then sent to your location for local delivery. This can not happen instantaneously and the clock starts clicking when you submit your specs for the unique build. Why is this an issue?

Jan 18, 2020 6:39 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for your reply!

I assume, first two sentences are missing word only.

BTO (built to order) is just that— and done online only.

The Apple store will carry only stock configurations.

The problem is - BTO takes too much time.

For instance, if no customization - website says it's ready for pickup right away. But as soon as I add some RAM, website says that I can pick up not earlier than on Feb 11.

Changing store doesn't help, still "Feb 11". Like I mentioned before, I'll have left USA by Feb 11.

But I guess there are no alternatives.

Jan 18, 2020 8:04 AM in response to smile421

smile421 wrote:

What I was hoping for - Apple had some BTO notebooks prebuilt and available in Apple Stores just in case. Alas.

Kind of goes against the definition of Built-To-Order.

And if stores did this they could then be left with stock that can't be sold. If I owned a store I would not stock expensive computers that may or may not be sold. My stock would only consist of "in demand by the masses" inventory, not one-of-a-kind items.

Is it possible to buy a customized MacBook Pro by walking into Apple store in the US without prior arrangements?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.