Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating from a purchased MacBook and the old user's Apple ID is blocking me from updating

Hello,

I recently purchased an older MacBook Pro (mid-'12) to utilize for my small business -- a stand alone machine. It was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up and LOVE Apple products.

Now, I'm updating since this machine sat around for many, many years without being updated. The old user's Apple ID pops up and I can't entire in my Apple ID to retrieve updates? Help !!!

Thank you and Best Regards,

Chris

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 7:19 PM

You need to boot from Internet Recovery and use Disk Utility to erase the device completely. Then, reinstall macOS.

You can also download an OS and create a bootable USB stick which you can use to boot from to ease the drive and reinstall the OS.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2020 7:19 PM in response to CJK1971

You need to boot from Internet Recovery and use Disk Utility to erase the device completely. Then, reinstall macOS.

You can also download an OS and create a bootable USB stick which you can use to boot from to ease the drive and reinstall the OS.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Updating from a purchased MacBook and the old user's Apple ID is blocking me from updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.