Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Does anyone else have this issue? I will occasionally restart my iMac (sometimes in Safe Boot mode) to clear out old cache. But upon restarting—and this happens some of the time—I get a warning box telling me about an issue with Adobe Creative Cloud and that I need to reinstall it. I've had the Creative Cloud apps for about four years but only recently has this issue appeared. I'm running Mojave for various reasons (not all of my major apps have 64-bit versions yet). Plus Acrobat Pro DC is exceeding slow to load and will give me the spinning beachball when I try to use it.

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 1:55 PM

Similar questions

15 replies

Jan 24, 2020 4:18 PM in response to danielfrombolingbrook

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO IMPORTANT:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the root of the problem.

Jan 27, 2020 3:14 PM in response to danielfrombolingbrook

Hi Daniel,

My pleasure.

I'm glad that you were able to find and remove the adware on your computer and that it comes out clean.

Regarding Acrobat DC, what version are you running? The latest version according to the Adobe version history is 19.021.20061 which was released on December 19, 2019 as a bug fix release. Regarding that error it could be that there are some underlying parts that are still 32-bit hence the error message you are getting.

Adobe added support for MacOS Catalina in version 19.021.20047 which means the entire application including underlying files should be 64 bit.

Regarding the report, I'll let Old Toad take a look if he wants.

I hope this helps.

Jan 25, 2020 10:59 AM in response to danielfrombolingbrook

Hi Daniel,

I took a look at the report you posted and decided to jump in here. Old Toad feel free to add your thoughts as well.

The first two applications that I noticed are CleanMyMac X and Intego antivirus, and also that you might have adware.

You should remove CleanMyMac. (vendor uninstaller or see these instructions to make sure it's completely removed). Cleaner utilities usually do more harm then good. Macs come with built in security protection so you probably don't need the antivirus program. I've found that antivirus programs tend to slow down the computer as they scan in the background.

Regarding the adware, I would run Malwarebytes to scan your Mac for the adware and remove it.

Old Toad, feel free to jump in and add anything I may have missed.

I hope this helps.

Jan 26, 2020 8:26 PM in response to danielfrombolingbrook

Hi Daniel,

I'm glad you removed CleanMyMac. I see about Intego, as Old Toad said most virus programs use system resources which affects performance but if you really want to keep it then it's up to you.

Regarding the adware/malware if you haven't already done so, download a copy of Malwarebytes and run it to scan your Mac for adware/malware to remove it.

Regarding Adobe Acrobat DC, did you see my post earlier about trying to remove it and reinstalling it to see if that solves the slowness you are experiencing.

I agree, the creative cloud version should work on Mojave as well as Catalina. Even the system requrements page states MacOS v10.14 Mojave as well as 10.15 Catalina for Adobe Acrobat DC. The latest version of the creative cloud desktop application is version 5.0.0.354 which was released on 10/11/2019. Do you have the same version installed?

I would run Etrecheck again and post the report after running Malwarebytes and we can take another look.

I hope this helps.

Jan 27, 2020 1:29 PM in response to Soren Pearson

Soren (and Old Toad if you're reading)—

First, let me say thanks to you and Old Toad and anyone else kind enough to respond to my situation. Very appreciated!

I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes which found two copies of adware called Mindspark, and five copies of OSX.Genieo (whatever that is). I deleted all that, then ran it again to make sure everything was caught. Good to go there.

Then I ran the Adobe Creative Cloud uninstaller. Restarted the machine. Then downloaded a new copy of the installer, and immediately double-clicked a PDF (different one this time). And once again, I get the warning telling me "Check with the developer to make sure Adobe Acrobat works with this version of Mac OS." If I drag that PDF onto the Dock alias for Acrobat, it opens. Not sure what is continuing with that. But I've practically decided to let it go because it's the only glitch I seem to have at this point.

Here's the newly run Etrecheck report—

Jan 23, 2020 3:08 PM in response to danielfrombolingbrook

Hi Daniel,

You should be able to reinstall creative cloud by visiting the download page to download the desktop application. You'll want to get the MacOS 10.12 or later version since you are on Mojave.

Regarding Adobe Acrobat DC being slow, you can see if you have the latest version and update if needed. Others have said that deleting the preference files have helped remedy it as well as deleting Acrobat Web Capture Cookies.

First, quit Acrobat if it is open.

How to remove preference files for adobe Acrobat DC. Go to the GO menu in the finer and hold down option key to show the Library folder. Then navigate to the preferences folder. Next, in the search box type in adobe acrobat and delete the files or follow these steps.

You could start by deleting all of the files that say com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro.plist - there might be 13 of them. Don't empty the trash just yet.

Next launch Acrobat DC and see if the issue is resolved if it is, you can empty your trash as the preference files were recreated.

I hope this helps.

Jan 24, 2020 9:17 AM in response to Soren Pearson

Soren—

I tried everything listed in your response, and by the way thanks for that. I did the new install for the Creative Cloud apps, and allowing that tried to open Acrobat DC (I see that sometimes it is not listed as such: I sometimes see it listed as Acrobat Pro DC). Anyway, opening it through the Adobe Creative Cloud window gets me a warning box telling me this: "Adobe Acrobat cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure Adobe Acrobat works with this version of macOS. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and macOS." The box then lists a bunch of code and a ton of other stuff about my system.

Dumping the prefs didn't do anything to help. I've kept up with all updates to Mojave over the last two years as well as all updates to the Creative Cloud apps.

But there may be an issue related to this fact: I've been getting a second warning box telling me that my Adobe Creative Cloud needs repaired. This has shown up several times in the last few months. The box has two check boxes within, one for "quit" and one for "repair". I always select the repair option, but that has no effect on how Acrobat performs. I may get the same warning box next week, and go through the same motions, but nothing changes as far as performance. All the other apps I use perform well. Acrobat continues to stall during use.

Plus one other thing: clicking on a PDF on the desktop gets me that first warning box every time. But dragging the PDF to the app icon in the Dock opens it right away.

Jan 24, 2020 11:36 AM in response to danielfrombolingbrook

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply on what you have tried so far. No problem.

Since you are still getting the warning box saying your creative cloud needs repairing, I would recommend clean installing Creative Cloud and then reinstall it.

As far as Adobe Acrobat DC, you should uninstall it and then reinstall it and that should resolve the slowness you are experiencing.

To clean install creative cloud, you can download the cleaner tool to remove creative cloud and reinstall it. You can either remove everything or specific applications.

For acrobat DC you can use the Acrobat cleaner tool (Only if you have the standalone version of Acrobat DC) to remove the installation. To install it again, how to reinstall Acrobat DC.

If you don't have the standalone version of Acrobat DC you can use the Creative Cloud cleaner tool I linked above.

Once you've uninstalled Creative Cloud, reboot your Mac and the reinstall Creative Cloud from the download page.

Next, install the Creative Cloud application and sign in with your Adobe ID and password. From here you can download Acrobat and the other adobe products you use on a regular bases.

I hope this helps and do let me know how it goes.

Jan 25, 2020 11:01 AM in response to danielfrombolingbrook

You have adware installed. You can remove it with Etrecheck or download and run Malwarebytes. It was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community.  The free version is sufficient.

You've also installed what many here consider to be akin to malware, CleanMyMac. It has a terrible reputation around here for damaging systems and adversely affecting performance. Uninstall it according to the developer's instructions. j

Also you've install anti-virus software, Intego, when there are no known viruses for Macs. All they do is use up system resources and adversely affect performance. Again uninstall according to the developer's instructions.

When done rerun Etrecheck and repost the report.

Jan 25, 2020 11:08 AM in response to danielfrombolingbrook

Thanks for posting!

Im a creative cloud user, and I’m getting this error aswel. But I usually ignore it as it tends to only appear when my MacBook is finish heavy tasks.

my theory is that the creative cloud service doesn’t get a reaction from the MacBook as fast as it expects.

I.E

Creative Cloud needs to update a certain file and asks macOS to find it. If macOS is busy with other tasks it’ll hold that task for a bit. If the CC service is not expecting that, it’ll return that error.

have you contacted Adobe Support?

Jan 26, 2020 6:44 PM in response to Soren Pearson

Soren—

I uninstalled CleanMyMac but am hesitant about removing Intego antivirus. The Intego suite of apps has come in very handy catching malware and viruses in the last few years. For example, it caught malware that was embedded within iMusic, an app I was using to download live music from YouTube. I’ve since dumped iMusic.

As for the adware, oddly enough, CleanMyMac found that right away and facillitated removing it even before Intego could even quarantine it.

But I’m getting a little off track here. After uninstalling CleanMyMac, and then even restarting the Mac, Acrobat DC is still fumbling the ball when I double-click a PDF, and still opens when I drag the PDF to the Acrobat alias in the Dock. The warning message I do get when double-clicking a PDF clearly states I may not have the proper version of Mac OS, which is not correct. Unless of course Adobe has updated their Creative Cloud version of Acrobat DC to work only with Catalina, which I doubt.

Jan 27, 2020 6:29 PM in response to Soren Pearson

Soren—

OMG. The Acrobat version I have is 19.010.20098. Going to the link you gave me, it's amazing to see I still had the version that came out back last February. I don't know just why that is. I downloaded Adobe Creative Cloud apps today, and the version that came with it is 19.010.20098.

I get periodic updates from Adobe's Creative Cloud because I've been subscribing to it for over four years now. You'd think I'd be up-to-date. Hmmm...

And now I've just downloaded the 19.021.20061version and installed it, and it works!!!

I can't thank you enough. Apple Support Communities is the best go-to support, and people like you help it stay that way. Kudos!

Jan 28, 2020 11:56 AM in response to danielfrombolingbrook

Hi Daniel,

My pleasure, I'm so glad the latest version of Acrobat DC solved your issue regarding Acrobat. Also your system is clean now as you removed the adware and removed CleanMyMac as well.

I believe Adobe Acrobat could be separate in a way from the creative suite when you check for updates using the creative cloud desktop application but I could be wrong. Checking for updates within Acrobat DC might be the way to do it. If you don't see the option to check for updates from within Acrobat then you would have the subscription and you would use the creative cloud app to check for updates. I believe there is a way to manually do it from within the CC application if it doesn't happen automatically. Just make sure you check for updates every now and then.

It's posts like these that make me want to continue helping others. Thank you for the kind words!

I hope this helps.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.