Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

. doc filew couldn't be opened

I recently update my macbook pro to High Sierra. The problem I have is with .doc files.

I run Pages09 and older filew doc I had in my HD or new I made using pages and saving as doc files, I have the same message "The doument "name file" couldn't be opened.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 4:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 7:27 AM

Pages '09 will refuse to open .doc/.docx documents that were created prior to 2000, or that have become damaged. That is an issue that can be resolved by installing the current, free LibreOffice Suite, opening the document, resaving it as .doc/.docx, and reopening in Pages '09.

Another potential issue is your upgrade to 10.13. The iWork '09 DVD installer writes dependent libraries and other files into operating system locations. An upgrade may have had an effect on some of these files (it should not, but still possible). I would reinstall from the iWork '09 DVD, and then follow that with the last update for iWork '09 with the iWork Update 9.3. That will give you autosave, versions, and better Word document compatibility. Pages '09 will be updated to v4.3.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2020 7:27 AM in response to stelao

Pages '09 will refuse to open .doc/.docx documents that were created prior to 2000, or that have become damaged. That is an issue that can be resolved by installing the current, free LibreOffice Suite, opening the document, resaving it as .doc/.docx, and reopening in Pages '09.

Another potential issue is your upgrade to 10.13. The iWork '09 DVD installer writes dependent libraries and other files into operating system locations. An upgrade may have had an effect on some of these files (it should not, but still possible). I would reinstall from the iWork '09 DVD, and then follow that with the last update for iWork '09 with the iWork Update 9.3. That will give you autosave, versions, and better Word document compatibility. Pages '09 will be updated to v4.3.

. doc filew couldn't be opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.