Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Usb Ports on MacBook not working properly after updating to Osx Catalina

Both of the usb ports on my MacBook pro (Late 2015 model) started malfunctioning after updating to osx Catalina. Keeps on disconnecting the devices. iPhone XR keeps on connecting / disconnecting many times in a minute. Changing cables from original to from other producers didn't help. Reset with control, option, shift and power buttons for 10 seconds didn't help too.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 1:34 PM

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  3. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences, if needed, after resetting the PRAM.
  6. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally.  Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and Playing Safe - what does Safe mode do?
  7. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.  Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  8. Repair permissions on the Home folderResolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder.
  9. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  10. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Install OS X then click on the Continue button.
  11. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:

1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.

2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.

3. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.

4. Set the Format type to APFS (for SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)

5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.

6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.

7. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2020 1:34 PM in response to Asadyrov

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  3. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences, if needed, after resetting the PRAM.
  6. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally.  Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and Playing Safe - what does Safe mode do?
  7. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.  Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  8. Repair permissions on the Home folderResolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder.
  9. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  10. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Install OS X then click on the Continue button.
  11. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:

1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.

2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.

3. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.

4. Set the Format type to APFS (for SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)

5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.

6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.

7. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Jan 30, 2020 9:49 AM in response to Asadyrov

I think I understand the question. Here's how to put the computer back to factory state: Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support. When you have done all the preliminary things, then you will restore macOS over the Internet:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the (Command-Option-Shift-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size info) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This should install the original version of macOS installed at the factory.

The last thing to do if you still haven't solved your problem is to make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

Jan 30, 2020 3:45 AM in response to Kappy

Dear Kappy,

I have tried all 11 options what you have recommended step by step. Furthermore, I have tried to get back to Mojave by creating an external flash booting and installing card.

I have deleted all possible saved data on HDD of my MacBook Pro 2015.

It helps first 20 minutes and USB increases the power to my iPhone XR to 1600 mah (I think indicating correctly). After 20 minutes it again crushes down to 500mah and again starts connecting and disconnecting every second.

I suppose, that this controller is a software bug implemented with 2100mah on saving mode to charge the iPhones and working incorrectly.

I would like to ask if there is a possibility to try TOTAL go to DEFAULT status, when none of the settings saved on the "background" chips, settings, bios and do complete RESET of the computer and start from absolutely BLANK Hardware to install macOS Catalina and see what happens? I mean NVRAM, SMC and there might be more something that not known for me. New OS can set on its own vision and fix it to normal settings that it should be. I am not sure if it will fix the problem, as I think this is a software bug from the developers and should be fixed by programmers, but not bad to give it a try.

Thank you very much. I really need to fix this issue.

Kindly yours,

Atabek

Feb 11, 2020 4:11 AM in response to Kappy

Dear Kappy,

Thank you for your guidance. Factory reset couldn't help me. But Anyways, I think that this is a software problem that came with Catalina. I have a last question before going to Apple Service. My MacBook Pro 2015 has a Thunderbolt 2 port, two of them. Can I use them to connect my iPhone?

This is the only possibility now somehow connect my iPhone to MacBook.

Could any additional software like Paragon for external HDDs write some settings into the memory of the Motherboard or any other memories used by the system and cause such problems?

Thanks,

Atabek.

Usb Ports on MacBook not working properly after updating to Osx Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.