MacBook Pro will not connect to other Apple devices via USB

When I connect my MacBook Pro (Mid 2015) to other Apple Devices (iPhone SE, iPhone 12, iPad 9th Generation) via USB cable, it will constantly connect and disconnect, like the USB cable or one of the USB ports is broken. Only very rarely (and without me doing anything different) will the connection work. I know that both my USB ports on my MacBook are not broken (they work for everything else I plug in), my USB cable is not broken (it works in every other situation, I also tried different cables) and my iPhone or iPad is also not the problem (it charges normally with every cable I plug in, and as stated above I have the same problem with different devices). All my devices and all apps on my devices are up to date.

Can somebody explain to me what the problem is?

Let me know if further information is needed.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 3:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 4:34 AM

Hi,

Try to check your MacBook Pro USB ports with Apple Diagnostics if it reports USB related error(NDD001).

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

4 replies

Jul 11, 2023 1:40 PM in response to HappyL

Thanks for your comment,

1. As stated above, I have tried several cables. They all work for everything else, just not for connecting my Macbook to other apple devices.
  2. As stated above, I have tried both my USB ports, they both work for everything else
  3. I tried this, charged my iPad / iphone to 100% before connecting, still does not work.
  4. As stated above all my devices and apps are up to date.

I did an apple diagnostics test and it says there are no issues.

Jul 9, 2023 12:37 PM in response to kiwioelhandel

It might be a bad cable or excessive power draw.

Troubleshoot in the following order is recommended:

1. Change another USB cable. Apple stock ones are preferred.

2 Use another USB port on your Mac. Disconnect all other USB devices from the Mac.

3 Properly/fully charge your iOS devices before connecting to the Mac.

4 Perform an OS update of the Mac

If none of the above works, Restart in Recovery and perform Apple Diagnostics test.

Hope you success with the first two steps.

MacBook Pro will not connect to other Apple devices via USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.