Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iMovie export as an MP4 with a file size of "Zero bytes" and when I try to open, it says the file is incompatible with QuickTime? (Latest OS, Macbook Pro)

Why does my iMovie export as an MP4 with a file size of "Zero bytes" and when I try to open, it says the file is incompatible with QuickTime? (Latest OS, Macbook Pro)

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 4:39 PM

Zero bytes means that it did not export at all. Therefore there was nothing to open.

Try opening the iMovie app while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can export.

Also, you can try placing your media into a newly created project, to test whether the issue might just be related to one project.

-- rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2020 4:39 PM in response to Cgillespie317

Zero bytes means that it did not export at all. Therefore there was nothing to open.

Try opening the iMovie app while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can export.

Also, you can try placing your media into a newly created project, to test whether the issue might just be related to one project.

-- rich

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.