Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iMovie export .mp4 that QuickTime won't play?

I exported a movie that I made using iMovie and the file it produced was an mp4, but when I double click the file to play it, it says "The file isn't compatible with QuickTime Player".

I don't have any problem playing other mp4 files, so why does Apple's own software produce a file that the computer won't play?

thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 1:28 AM

Where did you export the video to? Is it on a local folder in your Movies folder or on an external volume or on iCloud Drive?

You may get the error message for several reasons -

• when the export has not yet been complete. It can take several minutes to render a video when exporting from iMovie
  • or when you saved the video on a volume with an incompatible file system format, for example a case-sensitive file system may be problematic.
  • Or when QuickTime does not have the necessary permissions because the volume has been used for Time Machine backups.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2021 1:28 AM in response to adr150

Where did you export the video to? Is it on a local folder in your Movies folder or on an external volume or on iCloud Drive?

You may get the error message for several reasons -

• when the export has not yet been complete. It can take several minutes to render a video when exporting from iMovie
  • or when you saved the video on a volume with an incompatible file system format, for example a case-sensitive file system may be problematic.
  • Or when QuickTime does not have the necessary permissions because the volume has been used for Time Machine backups.

Apr 25, 2021 1:09 AM in response to adr150

What version of QuickTimePlayer are you using? On my Mac, running Mojave and iMovie 10.1.12, QuickTimePlayer version 10.5 plays all Mp4 movies exported by iMovie.

Try deleting preferences and then exporting again. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Share out your project again and see if the exported movie will play in QT.

If still no luck getting the exported movie to play in QT try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in your project and pasting it into a newly created project. Then share out the movie and see if QuickTimePlayer will play it.

Failing that, try converting your troublesome video to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures issues.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

-- Rich

Why does iMovie export .mp4 that QuickTime won't play?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.