Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceID does not work as well as TouchID

I am disappointed in the FaceID feature of my iphone 11 pro. I have to hold up my phone right in front of my face to get it to work and cannot just get it to open while it is sitting on the table. This is such a downgrade from TouchID!!! I've tried to reset FaceId several times also causing issues of having to re- log into my banking apps for which password i don't memorize and have to reset!!! Argh. I even tried to modify the passcode so it doesn't require it immediately but now that is my only option! I was so excited to get a new phone and now I am going to end up going back to using my iphone 6 which worked great except for the battery life. Is Apple going to do something about these issues? Im very disappointed.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Jan 22, 2020 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2020 5:01 PM

Hi,

Sounds like you may have attention aware settings enabled:

Change attention settings

For additional security, Face ID is attention aware. It unlocks iPhone only when your eyes are open and looking at the screen. iPhone can also reveal notifications and messages, keep the screen lit when you’re reading, or lower the volume of alerts.

If you don’t want iPhone to check for your attention, do the following:

1. Go to Settings  > Face ID & Passcode.
  2. Turn on or off any of the following:
    • Require Attention for Face ID
    • Attention Aware Features
    • Haptic on Successful Authentication
  1. These settings are turned off by default if you turn on VoiceOver when you first set up iPhone.

Note: Requiring attention makes Face ID more secure.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2020 5:01 PM in response to CD18568

Hi,

Sounds like you may have attention aware settings enabled:

Change attention settings

For additional security, Face ID is attention aware. It unlocks iPhone only when your eyes are open and looking at the screen. iPhone can also reveal notifications and messages, keep the screen lit when you’re reading, or lower the volume of alerts.

If you don’t want iPhone to check for your attention, do the following:

1. Go to Settings  > Face ID & Passcode.
  2. Turn on or off any of the following:
    • Require Attention for Face ID
    • Attention Aware Features
    • Haptic on Successful Authentication
  1. These settings are turned off by default if you turn on VoiceOver when you first set up iPhone.

Note: Requiring attention makes Face ID more secure.

FaceID does not work as well as TouchID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.