Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS could not be installed on your computer. an error occurred while generating the kernel cache.

“macOS could not be installed on your computer. An error occurred while generating the kernel cache. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.”

I’ve restarted it multiple times for it to say the same thing. I tried restarting by holding down the power button and it goes through the update and back to this screen. I can not access my computer at all.

Please help!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 22, 2020 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 11:31 AM

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up, if possible.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid button in Disk Utility's toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This should reinstall macOS without erasing the drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2020 11:31 AM in response to gubbybeck

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up, if possible.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid button in Disk Utility's toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This should reinstall macOS without erasing the drive.

macOS could not be installed on your computer. an error occurred while generating the kernel cache.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.