Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating transparency to stack text boxes in Pages

For some reason, "no fill" does not make a text box transparent. I want to stack two text boxes so that the bottom one shows behind the front one. When I click on "no fill" there is still a white background.

I don't want the text transparent, so I can't use the "opacity" slider.

I know that if WORD can do this, Pages can! How?

Thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 8:33 AM

8 replies

Jan 23, 2020 9:35 AM in response to RoseRed48

I am neither a Word or Pages zealot.

Unless you optionally add a fill color to a Text Box, then no fill won't act on what is already transparent. If you turn off wrap on those text boxes you cannot fail to overlay them, provided your front/back layers are set.

Everything in the following was done with layered and then grouped Text boxes:

Jan 23, 2020 8:42 AM in response to RoseRed48

By default, Text boxes in Pages are transparent, and once you select the individual (or both) Text boxes, and set Text Wrap to None in the Arrange panel, you can easily overlay Text boxes, and prove to yourself that they are already transparent.

I know that if WORD can do this, Pages can!

Nothing further from the truth, because there is not one line of MS Word code in Pages, and the latter was never designed to be a Word clone.

Jan 23, 2020 9:51 PM in response to RoseRed48

"Apparently the key was to unwrap the text, although I don't know why, exactly."

Every object inserted or pasted into a Pages document has Text wrap set to automatic by default. That means when you bring such an object close to any text (including text in a text box) Pages will automatically follow instructions and push the text away from the object being moved into that text's territory.

Setting the object's Wrap to 'none' turns off that instruction, allowing the object to be moved close to, or even 'on top of' the text without forcing that text to move.

Regards,

Barry

Jan 24, 2020 5:56 AM in response to Barry

Thank you for your thoughtful and clear reply, Barry. Your explanation tells me why "text wrap" had to be disabled before I could stack the boxes.

While we are chatting, is there an easy way to group the text boxes? When the underlying one is smaller than the top one, I found it hard to shift-click to group them. (Or do I need to start another thread for this?)

Thanks for your time and expertise!

Jan 24, 2020 11:30 AM in response to RoseRed48

Hi Rose,

"is there an easy way to group the (stacked) text boxes? When the underlying one is smaller than the top one, I found it hard to shift-click to group them."

Easy to do, but not as easy to describe.

Start by Selecting the larger box.

Go Arrange > Move to back.

Click on the smaller box (now in front of the larger one) to select it (and deselect the large one)

Go Arrange > Move to back (placing the selected smaller box behind the larger one)

Command-click on the larger box, in a place that is NOT on or in the smaller box. (This adds the larger box to the selection.

Go Arrange > Group Objects.

If needed, use the Arrange menu to move the grouped boxes to the desired layer (forward or back).

Regards,

Barry

Creating transparency to stack text boxes in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.