Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to disable or remove update helpers?

How are update helpers activated and loaded these days? I've got an especially annoying one (Corel Update Helper) that keeps stealing the focus. Often it gets stuck in a screen resolution switching loop that can only be resolved with a hard reboot, sometimes resulting in hours of lost work.

I know where CUH.app is and could delete it, but don't know where to remove whatever triggers it to run.

I've tried asking Corel. When I send them directory listings and paths, they seem confused that it's different from Windows.

Is there something like a secret crontab for the update helpers? (I wouldn't mind killing Adobe's one while I'm at it.)

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 12:54 PM

Open Activity Monitor and look for the process in the listing. Set the View menu to All Processes. When you locate the process click on the Kill button in the upper-left corner.

The helper is likely located either in LaunchAgents or LaunchDaemons. These folders are found in the /Library/ or /Home/Library/ folders. Check in them for an item with "Corel" in the filename. Select the file, CTRL- or RIGHT-click and select "Move to Trash" from the context menu.

If you were unable to kill the process in Activity Monitor, then reboot the computer after deleting the helper launch agent of daemon.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2020 12:54 PM in response to wyvern-eater

Open Activity Monitor and look for the process in the listing. Set the View menu to All Processes. When you locate the process click on the Kill button in the upper-left corner.

The helper is likely located either in LaunchAgents or LaunchDaemons. These folders are found in the /Library/ or /Home/Library/ folders. Check in them for an item with "Corel" in the filename. Select the file, CTRL- or RIGHT-click and select "Move to Trash" from the context menu.

If you were unable to kill the process in Activity Monitor, then reboot the computer after deleting the helper launch agent of daemon.

how to disable or remove update helpers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.