Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud data recovery after phone upgrade

My employer has just upgraded my iPhone 5S to an iPhone 8. I had no control of the handover process so although I had an iCloud backup of the old device, this wasn't used when setting up the new phone.

When I now look at iCloud.com, the old device and it's backups no longer seem to appear, however when I look at the new iPhone 8, I can see the backup from the old iPhone 5S.

A couple of questions:

Why can I see the iPhone 5S backup on the new iPhone 8 but not on iCloud?

Is there any way of recovering data (particularly contacts, messages, WhatsApp, wallet) from the 5S backup shown on the 8 without a full wipe of the iPhone 8 which will incur the wrath of the IT police...

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 12:58 PM

Backups can't be viewed by going to icloud.com, you can view the last backup on the device itself.

NO you can't pick and choose data to restore back from icloud it's all or nothing.

Wallets should come back when said user signs into their apple account.

contacts are synced to whatever mail or cloud program is used, so turn that on for contacts.

Whatsapp has their own separate backup I think, but you or your employer will need to confirm that with them or look at their support site.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2020 12:58 PM in response to fredTC

Backups can't be viewed by going to icloud.com, you can view the last backup on the device itself.

NO you can't pick and choose data to restore back from icloud it's all or nothing.

Wallets should come back when said user signs into their apple account.

contacts are synced to whatever mail or cloud program is used, so turn that on for contacts.

Whatsapp has their own separate backup I think, but you or your employer will need to confirm that with them or look at their support site.

Jan 23, 2020 1:47 PM in response to razmee209

Thanks for the quick reply.

My main issue is that my employer is pushing O365, so my contacts seem to have been sync'd to those in O365. Most of my contacts (5+years) were on my phone and not O365.

I'd hoped that I could recover from iCloud, but on iCloud.com this just shows the the latest (O365) backup from the new phone.

There's clearly an imprint of my old 5S out there somewhere but I'm not sure if I want to reset the iPhone8 with the full backup as it will wipe the MDM apps/profile etc that the IT police applied to the phone.

iCloud data recovery after phone upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.