Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating OS to support iTunes and iPhone 11

Hi,

I recently changed from an iPhone 6s to an iPhone 11. I am using a MacBook Pro, 13 inch, mid 2012, Core i5.

When transferring my iCloud backup to the iPhone 11, my music wasn't transferred for some reason (this is vital for my job).

When connecting to the iPhone 11 to my Mac to try and sync my music, iTunes tells me 'iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. You do not have permission', despite choosing 'Trust this computer' multiple times.

After some searching on this forum, I tried updating iTunes to the latest version, which then prompts me with 'iTunes needs 10.11.4 or later'.

So far I have tried upgrading to Catalina, but can only get as far as this screen, where I click on Install but it goes no further.

I then tried downloading a previous OS (thinking maybe that the jump from Mavericks to Catalina was too big?), so I downloaded El Capitan which appeared to be successful, with the installer saying 'Install complete' but there were no changes made to my Mac. I tried restarting but it is still running 10.9.5.

Am I doing something wrong? This has now been days of downloading and trying to install without any success, and I desperately need my music on my phone for work.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Shelley

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 1:42 PM

Repair HD and Permissions - Lion through Yosemite

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. When the Utility Menu appears select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. After Disk Utility loads select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) entry from the the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar, then click on the Repair Disk button.
  5. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported.
  6. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button.
  7. Wait for the process to finish, then quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Now, try running the Catalina installer.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2020 1:42 PM in response to she1001lley

Repair HD and Permissions - Lion through Yosemite

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. When the Utility Menu appears select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. After Disk Utility loads select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) entry from the the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar, then click on the Repair Disk button.
  5. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported.
  6. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button.
  7. Wait for the process to finish, then quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Now, try running the Catalina installer.

Jan 23, 2020 8:16 PM in response to she1001lley

Are there any error messages? After clicking on the Install arrow how long did you wait for any progress? If more than ten minutes, then I'm guessing there is a hardware problem. I'd say the drive is the problem. One possibility is that the drive is not formatted correctly. It may be that it is not using the GUID partition scheme; it may not be using Mac OS Extended formatting; it may not be Journaled. These can be checked using Disk Utility. If you are using an SSD, then it must be formatted using APFS. That would require erasing the drive.

If you have an external drive that you can use, then backup your internal drive. Erase the external drive and reformat it. Use APFS only if it's an SSD. Use the GUID partition scheme. Then try installing Catalina. If that works OK, then you can restore your files from the backup.

Another thing that crosses my mind is, if you have 32-bit software running on the computer. If so, then you want to remove it. Use Go64 to find and remove any 32-bit software. Then try installing Catalina again.

Updating OS to support iTunes and iPhone 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.