Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching Between iCloud & Computer For Backup

I believe in backing up to multiple locations.

Normally, my iPhone is configured to backup to iCloud. When I connect the phone to my Windows computer and iTunes opens, the summary under "Backups" shows the time & date of the latest backup to iCloud.

Periodically, I change the option to use "This Computer" as the backup location. When I do that and either click "Back Up Now" or just re-sync, the phone is backed up to the computer.

However, at that point, the "Latest Backup" shows the time of the backup to the computer, but indicates that "This phone has never been backed up to iCloud."

So, when you switch to "This Computer" as the backup location, does that automatically delete the iCloud backup? Or is it just that the phone doesn't "realize" that there is an iCloud backup available. And if the latter is the case, how would I manage to restore from the iCloud backup if that was necessary?

If I backup to the computer and then switch back to iCloud as the backup destination and manually do a backup, "Latest Backup" shows both backups:

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 23, 2020 3:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 9:56 AM

That message about never being backed up to iCloud is indeed a glitch that I see from time to time and that I have seen other people talk about in the community. I have a new iPad Air 3, and iPad Air 2 and an iPhone XR which all, backup to iCloud and to iTunes. My iPad Air 3 never shows that I back up to iCloud in iTunes and hasn’t showed that since the day I started backing it up. It always shows backup to this computer.

Another inconsistency that I see in iTunes for both iPads is that I am syncing contacts from my Mac which is absolutely incorrect. I think I see it on the iPad Air 3 because I restore the iPad from the iPad Air 2 backup so the same incorrect settings show up in iTunes.

I take half of what I see in iTunes with a grain of salt. I use it, but I don’t think it is Apple’s finest accomplishment.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2020 9:56 AM in response to Peter Adler

That message about never being backed up to iCloud is indeed a glitch that I see from time to time and that I have seen other people talk about in the community. I have a new iPad Air 3, and iPad Air 2 and an iPhone XR which all, backup to iCloud and to iTunes. My iPad Air 3 never shows that I back up to iCloud in iTunes and hasn’t showed that since the day I started backing it up. It always shows backup to this computer.

Another inconsistency that I see in iTunes for both iPads is that I am syncing contacts from my Mac which is absolutely incorrect. I think I see it on the iPad Air 3 because I restore the iPad from the iPad Air 2 backup so the same incorrect settings show up in iTunes.

I take half of what I see in iTunes with a grain of salt. I use it, but I don’t think it is Apple’s finest accomplishment.

Switching Between iCloud & Computer For Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.