You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch connecting to WiFi while I’m not home

Can anyone help me figure out why my Apple Watch (series 2) would use WiFi when I am not home and it is connected to the charger? I opted out of sharing my data reports with Apple so I’m not sure why it wold still be running data reports when my phone isn’t nearby and the watch isn’t being used.

Apple Watch

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 3:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 8:47 AM

When it is on the charger, is when it is prepared to receive updates from your iPhone via WiFi. It is prepared to get music, podcasts, audiobooks from your iPhone.

And since your iPhone Bluetooth is not nearby, it only has WiFi as it communications method. After all your iPhone could be in another part of the house that is out of Bluetooth Range. The Apple Watch does not know that.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 25, 2020 8:47 AM in response to kaity923

When it is on the charger, is when it is prepared to receive updates from your iPhone via WiFi. It is prepared to get music, podcasts, audiobooks from your iPhone.

And since your iPhone Bluetooth is not nearby, it only has WiFi as it communications method. After all your iPhone could be in another part of the house that is out of Bluetooth Range. The Apple Watch does not know that.

Apple Watch connecting to WiFi while I’m not home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.