Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi connectivity issues w/OS X 10.5.8

Dear Apple Support Community,

I’m unable to to connect wirelessly to an existing wifi network. I am able to select my network from the Wi-Fi menu of available networks but the airport utility fails to find the wireless device thus fails to connect w/the selected Wi-Fi network. I have provided a list of specs, hopefully insightful, w/respect to a configuration that I thought would enable Wi-Fi connectivity. I’ve also performed a deep reset, twice, on the base station of which proved to be unsuccessful. There are also a couple of other more current computers running on this network. The current service provider connection is by way of cable, using a DHCP configuration (Time Warner Cable). Please advise, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly for your time, thoughtful consideration and expertise,

Leonard

• DEVICE: legacy Power Mac Digital Audio G4. Firmware has been updated (4.2.8).

• OS X 10.5.8 Leopard has been installed as well as software updates.

• An updated Airport Utility v5.6.1. required to run the second generation Airport Express Wi-Fi.

• Airport Express base station (second generation) 802.11n that supports OS X 10.5.7 and later.

• Updated Airport card and wireless card firmware v9.52 that also supports OS X 10.5.8.

AirPort

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 10:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 7:46 AM

Good morning GDAQUA,

Got some good news for you. I think we can put this one to sleep but, first I wanted say thank you sir for the advice and the resources w/the relevant info to properly troubleshoot this wireless Sci-Fi Wi-Fi throw back to the future network. Secondly your patients to help. Very much appreciate! Hope I wasn’t too much of a pain in the butt. I know it was on my end. I made a train wreck out of my existing Wi-Fi network two or three times. After all that term oil there was a sweet easy solution for WPA2 compatibility. I knew there had to be when the computer made an unexpected streamlined connection to some god only knows unprotected network. So I knew then was a way as long as I had the will.

All that it involved was to launch the “Airport Utility” (on the computer currently Wi-Fi connected) click the base station graphic>select edit>select “Wireless” from the sud menu>select the “Wireless Security” drop down menu>last but not least select “WPA/WPA2 Personal”. Bingo! Houston the G4 digital audio has connected.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2020 7:46 AM in response to BDAqua

Good morning GDAQUA,

Got some good news for you. I think we can put this one to sleep but, first I wanted say thank you sir for the advice and the resources w/the relevant info to properly troubleshoot this wireless Sci-Fi Wi-Fi throw back to the future network. Secondly your patients to help. Very much appreciate! Hope I wasn’t too much of a pain in the butt. I know it was on my end. I made a train wreck out of my existing Wi-Fi network two or three times. After all that term oil there was a sweet easy solution for WPA2 compatibility. I knew there had to be when the computer made an unexpected streamlined connection to some god only knows unprotected network. So I knew then was a way as long as I had the will.

All that it involved was to launch the “Airport Utility” (on the computer currently Wi-Fi connected) click the base station graphic>select edit>select “Wireless” from the sud menu>select the “Wireless Security” drop down menu>last but not least select “WPA/WPA2 Personal”. Bingo! Houston the G4 digital audio has connected.

Jan 26, 2020 6:28 AM in response to leonard1956

Hi Leonard...

These directions apply for 10.5.8 & up.

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Jan 26, 2020 6:37 PM in response to BDAqua

Hello BDAqua,

just wanted to say thank you for your responsive correspondence as well as all of tech tip direction(s). The Airport express manual doesn’t even get close to breaking out a thorough and definitive path for trouble shooting the connectivity issues with my Wi Fi network. I’m going to give this another go this evening and will be taking the ethernet connection approach. Manual or automatic DHCP doesnˇt phase me at this stage of the game. The address, router, etc. etc. info has been documented to the point of running out of room in the administrator’s log. I’ll let you know what ensues.

Thanks for the all that you have provided thus far,

Leonard

Jan 27, 2020 2:34 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

not much luck as of yet. The disk utility is unable to find “any Airport wireless devise”. I believe my issue is when creating a new/additional network location, of which I can create without a hitch, just unable to establish/sustain the additional location’s presence within the WiFi network. I have read the materials and possibly I’m mis-interpreting something some where. So I’m going to give it another go. I’l be in touch.

Thank you for your patients,

Leonard

Jan 28, 2020 1:22 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAQUA,

My apologies for poorly communicated reply. I’ll make every effort to correct my short comings.

OK, first things first:

question:  “Not sure where Disk Utility gets involved here!???”

answer:  My mistake, I totally flaked out when referencing “Disk Utility”. I meant to say:

The “Airport” Utility”  is unable to find “any Airport wireless devise”. 

question:  Can you explain the following in more detail?

I can create without a hitch, just unable to establish/sustain the additional location’s presence within the WiFi network. 

answer: Yes. My explanation is as follows:

After entering a name for a new network>Location, pulldown menu>Edit Locations, select the plus icon, give it a name.. Next move to the Wi-Fi main menu icon( instead of joining from the Network Name pull down menu). From the the WiFi icon list,  click “join other network”. At the time, attempting to “join other network”>assigning Wi-Fi network passwords>select security or opt not to assigning passwords then>click OK, an immediate stall occurs indicating the “Connection timed out”. At this point I have to click cancel. The name of the network I was attempting to join is no longer available for selection in either the Network Name pull down menu or the Wi-Fi main menu. Gone..... hence:

(a new network name) I can create without a hitch, just unable to establish/sustain the additional location’s presence within the WiFi network.

I’ve tried to attach screen shot images but, they’re not loading at the moment and was instructed to try again later in the day.

FYI: when attempting to use my existing Wi-Fi network, there is an immediate stall indicating the “Connection failed”.

Thanks for your help,

Leonard

Jan 29, 2020 6:28 AM in response to leonard1956

AHA, forgot...

Non extreme airport cards don't support WPA2. Use WPA only.

https://superuser.com/questions/162543/why-wont-osx-10-5-8-connect-to-wpa2

In About this Mac>More Info>Network>Airport or Wifi, what card is it...

Interfaces:

en1:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x9A)

Firmware Version: Atheros 9380: 4.0.74.0-P2P

MAC Address: 7c:c3:a1:b2:3e:10

Locale: FCC

Country Code: CN

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

Wake On Wireless: Supported

AirDrop: Supported

We may be safer setting up Internet Sharing if you have another computer close enough.

Jan 29, 2020 5:23 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAQUA,

finally, I’m back.... . and back on the path to hopefully solve the Sci-Fi Wi-Fi mystery. . All kidding aside, I think we’re on to something. I took a peak at the Wi-Fi network profile on my iMac, OoooH yeah ... Network security is nothing but WPA2 Personal. (2 Wi-Fi ports). The G4 airport card is NOT “Aiport Extreme”. The iMac card is “Aiport Extreme”. Minor detail........ .  I’ll keep you posted. I’ve been trying to post this reply for 2 1/2 hours.

• Gotta question. What constitutes a “WPA password”? I have no idea. When attempting to join a Wi-Fi network the network is continually requesting/requiring a“WPA password”. All I know is that it’ a standard for wireless encryption..... . .???

Thanks again for everything.!  I’ll let you know what happens.

Leonard

Wi-Fi connectivity issues w/OS X 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.