Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen resolution settings

Dear All,

I have a doubt about the screen resolution settings.

I have connected the new Mac mini to a 4K TV (HDMI) and I have adjusted the resolution in order to comfortably operate the computer and read all text from the couch. Unfortunately this new version of OS X doesn't have the traditional list of available resolutions so I cannot say if the setting I have chosen is 1920x1080 or anything else. I have tried to set the max resolution which I believe is 4K but all become too small and it's impossible to read anything, so my question is:

Since I have set the computer resolution lower than 4K if I play a 4K movie file on VLC am I watching the movie with the original file resolution or lower??

Thank you All

regards

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 11:06 AM

Doesn't the Display Preferences under Resolution have a scaled option? I have a Late 2012 mini which when I was running Mojave I was able to get 4K resolution even though Apple said it wasn't supported. As den.thed says and I'm sure you have noticed in 4K everything is smaller. The menu bar you can not change. Finder fonts and icons can be adjusted. Here is a screen shot of my Display prefs.

As far as question goes if the display is set to1920X1080 that is the resolution the file will play in regardless of App.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2020 11:06 AM in response to Ale1980

Doesn't the Display Preferences under Resolution have a scaled option? I have a Late 2012 mini which when I was running Mojave I was able to get 4K resolution even though Apple said it wasn't supported. As den.thed says and I'm sure you have noticed in 4K everything is smaller. The menu bar you can not change. Finder fonts and icons can be adjusted. Here is a screen shot of my Display prefs.

As far as question goes if the display is set to1920X1080 that is the resolution the file will play in regardless of App.

Jan 26, 2020 8:39 AM in response to Ale1980

Large TV's no matter how good they are, do not replace or make good desktop monitors. While they work great for media from across the room, they do not work well as a computer desktop monitors because you need to be closer. If you want to use the Mac Mini as both a media server and desktop computer, then you really need to add a smaller display to the setup and use it for desktop work.

Screen resolution settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.