Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac slow to wake

My iMac has been acting strangely lately. The external HD that I use for Time Machine could not be ejected. I asked a question here and tried all of the suggestions I got but none worked. I attached another external HD and USB drives and had no problem ejecting them. Around this time the computer starting taking a much longer time to wake and then would sometimes go right back to sleep. Is this something to worry about?

Someone here suggested getting Etre Check. I did and here is the report generated:

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 6:27 PM

7 replies

Jan 28, 2020 9:59 AM in response to BluSky

This is minor but make help overall performance. When I look at:

• Launch Agents
  • Launch Daemons
  • User Launch Agents
  • Internet Plug-ins
  • and 3rd Party Preference Panes,

I see a number of items that are much older than your iMac going back to 2007, likely the result of using Migration Assistant (and one reason I don't use MA). As the macOS gets newer, there is increasing evidence that very old apps and processes can slow the system.

One known to do this is DivX, which you have, and yours is date-stamped 2007!

Good rule of thumb: If you use it, keep it updated. If you don't, dump it.

Some third-party apps may not have been updated in a while but it is still worth checking.

Jan 26, 2020 8:17 PM in response to BluSky

Uninstall both Sophos & Trusteer antivirus apps. It’s a miracle your Mac runs at all with that installed. Mac OS does not benefit from not does it require ANY third party antivirus apps. If simply kept up to date and otherwise left alone Mac OS is extremely secure!!! Locate the the developers uninstall instructions for Sophos and Trusteer and Mac OS should become stable.

Third party av apps have the exact opposite effect a user desires, the make make Mac OS slow and unstable and add ZERO benefits.

iMac slow to wake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.