Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will dual-booting Windows 10 on a flash drive give me more space?

I have dual-booted Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro (Catalina) but couldn't partition a lot of space because I have a lot of programs/applications downloaded on my Mac and I have a lot of things taking up space in the "Other" category for some reason. I was able to dual-boot Windows successfully, but I need to download an application on Windows and I don't have enough space for that. If I use Boot Camp again and dual-boot Windows 10 to a USB flash drive, will it allow more space for me to be able to download the Windows application/program that I need? Will I still need a lot of space on my hard drive?

I tried researching but I didn't find a clear answer on whether dual-booting on a USB drive will give me more space or not. I just need to download a Windows application but don't have space on my hard drive for it after I dual-booted windows.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 9:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 9:37 PM

Leave your internal Windows installation intact. Let us say this is the drive C:. Format an external drive as NTFS, let us say D:. Install all your additional software on D:, as long as common files on C: do not need a lot of disk space, you can run programs from D:. Instead of a flash drive, use an external USB3 (or Thunderbolt) disk, if possible. USB2 will be too slow.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2020 9:37 PM in response to maa19

Leave your internal Windows installation intact. Let us say this is the drive C:. Format an external drive as NTFS, let us say D:. Install all your additional software on D:, as long as common files on C: do not need a lot of disk space, you can run programs from D:. Instead of a flash drive, use an external USB3 (or Thunderbolt) disk, if possible. USB2 will be too slow.

Will dual-booting Windows 10 on a flash drive give me more space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.