Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

search by genre ONLY within iTunes library

When I do an iTunes library search using the keyword JAZZ, I get ALL songs, albums, artists, etc. with JAZZ in the name when all I want are the songs with the genre of JAZZ so I can change that name to make it easier for me when I need to do iPOD updates. So, is there a way to search GENRE only using JAZZ as the keyword? Would appreciate any assistance.

PS: I am on the latest version of iTunes, am trying to manage 300000+ songs, and am on the Windows 10 Operating System.

iPod Classic

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 9:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 2:16 PM

You can display all of any genre much more easily than by using the search feature. I can think of methods.

Make sure the Sidebar is displayed on the left of your iTunes window; if it isn't, click on View/Show Sidebar:

Method One:

• Under Library (1.), choose Genres (2.)

• Select Jazz (3.)
  • All the albums displayed in 4. are Jazz (although remember that there may also be non-jazz tracks on these albums).

Method Two:

Under Library (5.), choose Songs (6.)

I have the Column Browser displayed. If yours is not there, click on View/Column Browser/Show Column Browser. If you then choose View/Column Browser again, you can select which columns you wish to display. As you can see, I have Genres, Artists and Albums displayed.

• In the column Genres (7.), select Jazz (8.)
  • In both the Artist and the Albums columns, the only items now shown will be in the Jazz genre

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2020 2:16 PM in response to regentpark3

You can display all of any genre much more easily than by using the search feature. I can think of methods.

Make sure the Sidebar is displayed on the left of your iTunes window; if it isn't, click on View/Show Sidebar:

Method One:

• Under Library (1.), choose Genres (2.)

• Select Jazz (3.)
  • All the albums displayed in 4. are Jazz (although remember that there may also be non-jazz tracks on these albums).

Method Two:

Under Library (5.), choose Songs (6.)

I have the Column Browser displayed. If yours is not there, click on View/Column Browser/Show Column Browser. If you then choose View/Column Browser again, you can select which columns you wish to display. As you can see, I have Genres, Artists and Albums displayed.

• In the column Genres (7.), select Jazz (8.)
  • In both the Artist and the Albums columns, the only items now shown will be in the Jazz genre

Jan 28, 2020 12:39 PM in response to regentpark3

I'm confused; why have you found any need to rename a whole genre when I've shown you how to find and look at one genre on its own? By renaming the genre as Jzzz, you risk creating a monster that you cannot control. For example, every time you now add a new song to your Library with the genre of Jazz, you now have to remember to rename it as Jzzz. You've already discovered that you cannot use the search facility to find a genre, so what have you achieved? There is a genre view and that's why I've explained how to examine it.

So stop using search to look for a genre. The Genre view that I've mentioned will do exactly what you want. It will not display an album or song simply because the word Jazz is in the song or album title. It looks only at the genre you have selected.

Having sorted that out, let's look at how you put only the Jazz genre onto an iPod. It's very, very easy.

To add specific genres to an iPod, use the Sync seleted playlists, artists, albums and genres feature that's part of iTunes.

This procedure assumes that you have not added music to the iPod from another computer. (You can only synchronise an iPod with one iTunes Library at any time.)

• connect the iPod to the computer
  • when it appears in iTunes, click on the iPod icon at the top of the window:

That will display the iPod's Settings/Summary pane. Refer to the screenshot below:

• I recommend that you turn on the option to Sync only ticked songs and videos, which I've ringed in orange in the screenshot. By doing so, you can easily remove a song from the iPod in future by unticking it in the Library and then Syncing. This is your choice, it's not compulsory.

• Now switch to the Settings/Music (1.) pane (indicated in the screenshot below):

• Make sure the Sync Music (2.) box is ticked
  • Select Sync only ticked playlists, artists, albums and genres (3.). Only now will section 4 appear
  • Use the scroll bar to find the Genres section (4.), which is below the Playlists and the Artists panels (4.)
  • In the Genres section (4.), select the genre that you want to add to the iPod
  • Click on the Sync (or the Apply) button in the lower right corner so that your selections are added to the iPod
  • Once the Sync has completed, safely disconnect the iPod using the eject icon:

That's it.

Jan 27, 2020 4:45 PM in response to the fiend

A VERY helpful answer; so very much appreciated. Your suggestion allowed me to rename the JAZZ genre to Jzzz so I would not pickup songs, albums, artists that had JAZZ in their name when I did my search.

However I still can't search by genre using Jzzz, and that poses my real problem. I want to load about 45000 of my jazz songs to a specific iPOD, but because genre just shows up as a column title among 300000+ songs I can't highlight and select jazz only because Select All picks up everything that shows up in an individual search. So I would need to de-select 255000 songs to drag/drop the Jzzz songs only to my iPOD and that would be a monumental task.

Any ideas on how to tackle this part?

search by genre ONLY within iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.