Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ITUNES SEARCH BY GENRE

Why is it that in iTunes, when I search for all the songs in a specific genre, other songs from other genres appear? For example: I want to see all the songs in my genre category titled "POP MUSIC", so in the search I type in the words "POP MUSIC". All the songs in that category appear but then there are songs that also appear that are in other genre categories.

For example: One of the songs that appeared was a song called Blue Sky but that song is in my COUNTRY MUSIC genre category?!

Upon further investigation, I find out that that certain song in the country music category, is from an album called "My Pops Country Music". Which tells me that the reason why that song appeared when I searched for POP MUSIC is because the words "Pop" and "Music" were in the title of the album even though that song is not listed in my POP MUSIC genre? Is there any way to stop this from happening?

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 4:50 PM

ISLANDBOY66 wrote:

Upon further investigation, I find out that that certain song in the country music category, is from an album called "My Pops Country Music". Which tells me that the reason why that song appeared when I searched for POP MUSIC is because the words "Pop" and "Music" were in the title of the album even though that song is not listed in my POP MUSIC genre? Is there any way to stop this from happening?

Yes, use the Genre View in your iTunes Library or select the specific genre in the Songs View, using the Column Browser. Read on.

(I'm fairly certain that the words "pop" and "music" explain why those songs appear in your search. It means that the search has worked correctly.)

1. Make sure your Sidebar is displayed - see the screenshot below. If it isn't, click on iTunes' top bar menu option View/Show Sidebar
  2. If Genre is not shown in the list under Library (1. in the screenshot below), move your mouse up to the heading (Library) and click on Edit that appears. Turn on Genre in the list and click on Done

Either:

• (this is the slower route). In the left sidebar, select the Genre heading (1.):

• in the example above, I have selected the AOR genre from the list of genres column (2.)
  • the right hand section shows any album with at least one song on it of the selected genre. No other albums will be displayed. The remaining albums are above and below the one you can see here
  • each listed album will show ONLY tracks on that album of the selected genre. Any song on an album shown here, but from any other genre, will not be displayed in this view
  • in the example shown (Fleetwood Mac's Then Play On album), note that this genre view shows four songs

Or:

• (this is the quicker route and this first paragraph sets up the view. You do not have to do this each time.) Use the Songs View and make sure that the Column Browser is displayed (iTunes' top bar menu; View/Column Browser/Show Column Browser). Make sure that the Column Browser displays the Genre column (View/Column Browser... and tick the Genres option)

• using the screenshot below as your guide:

• select the Songs View (1.)
  • in the Genres column (2.), select the genre you want to inspect (3.)
  • in my screenshot, the Artists column (not numbered) and the Albums column (4.) show only albums with at least one song in the AOR genre. No other albums will be displayed in this column
  • in the Albums column (4.), select the album you wish to inspect
  • in the song display (5.), I have arranged specific columns to display. Your view may be different. Only songs on the album of the AOR genre are shown in 5. Notice that my screenshot shows the same four songs again
  • to see all the songs on this album, regardless of their genre, all we need to do after the previous step is scroll up the Genres column (2.) and select All (xxx) Genres option (the previous album remains selected):

• notice that the same album now shows six songs (I don't have the complete album in my library, just these six)
  • the additional songs are one with the genre of Blues and one from 67-70 Pop

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2023 4:50 PM in response to ISLANDBOY66

ISLANDBOY66 wrote:

Yes, use the Genre View in your iTunes Library or select the specific genre in the Songs View, using the Column Browser. Read on.

(I'm fairly certain that the words "pop" and "music" explain why those songs appear in your search. It means that the search has worked correctly.)

1. Make sure your Sidebar is displayed - see the screenshot below. If it isn't, click on iTunes' top bar menu option View/Show Sidebar
  2. If Genre is not shown in the list under Library (1. in the screenshot below), move your mouse up to the heading (Library) and click on Edit that appears. Turn on Genre in the list and click on Done

Either:

• (this is the slower route). In the left sidebar, select the Genre heading (1.):

• in the example above, I have selected the AOR genre from the list of genres column (2.)
  • the right hand section shows any album with at least one song on it of the selected genre. No other albums will be displayed. The remaining albums are above and below the one you can see here
  • each listed album will show ONLY tracks on that album of the selected genre. Any song on an album shown here, but from any other genre, will not be displayed in this view
  • in the example shown (Fleetwood Mac's Then Play On album), note that this genre view shows four songs

Or:

• (this is the quicker route and this first paragraph sets up the view. You do not have to do this each time.) Use the Songs View and make sure that the Column Browser is displayed (iTunes' top bar menu; View/Column Browser/Show Column Browser). Make sure that the Column Browser displays the Genre column (View/Column Browser... and tick the Genres option)

• using the screenshot below as your guide:

• select the Songs View (1.)
  • in the Genres column (2.), select the genre you want to inspect (3.)
  • in my screenshot, the Artists column (not numbered) and the Albums column (4.) show only albums with at least one song in the AOR genre. No other albums will be displayed in this column
  • in the Albums column (4.), select the album you wish to inspect
  • in the song display (5.), I have arranged specific columns to display. Your view may be different. Only songs on the album of the AOR genre are shown in 5. Notice that my screenshot shows the same four songs again
  • to see all the songs on this album, regardless of their genre, all we need to do after the previous step is scroll up the Genres column (2.) and select All (xxx) Genres option (the previous album remains selected):

• notice that the same album now shows six songs (I don't have the complete album in my library, just these six)
  • the additional songs are one with the genre of Blues and one from 67-70 Pop

Jan 30, 2023 4:10 PM in response to ISLANDBOY66

Hello ISLANDBOY66,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

You can attempt to search for the genre by using the column browser:

"Find a song with the column browser in iTunes on PC

You can quickly find a song in your iTunes library using the column browser.

The iTunes main window: The column browser is to the right of the sidebar and above the list of songs.

Your music is sorted by up to five categories (Genres, Composers, Groupings, Artists, and Albums), divided into columns. As you select an item in each column, the list narrows down to display only the matching songs.

For example, to find only pop music by a certain artist, you could select Pop in the Genres column, then the artist’s name in the Artists column."

More details can be found here: Find a song with the column browser in iTunes on PC

We would also recommend leaving feedback for Apple directly.

You can do so by going to iTunes

Cheers!

ITUNES SEARCH BY GENRE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.