Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Junk filter malfunctioning

My junk mail filter marks mail from certain addresses that are in my contacts, and mail from previous recipients, as junk. How to correct this?

iMac

OS 10.14.6 Mojave

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 8:28 AM

punditz wrote:

My iMac is less than a year old... I had to disconnect my time machine external drive because it was slowing down my computer so much. That helped, but many processes are still slow.
I regret not having gotten the solid state drive, but I'm still disappointed that the iMac is so clunky.

To get a good look at your System config. for conflicts or issues, you can run this trusted utility http://etrecheck.com  

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

You can set its preference to "Allow full Disk Access",  with this you get a digest of issues from the last 7 days that are saved in your system.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2020 8:28 AM in response to punditz

punditz wrote:

My iMac is less than a year old... I had to disconnect my time machine external drive because it was slowing down my computer so much. That helped, but many processes are still slow.
I regret not having gotten the solid state drive, but I'm still disappointed that the iMac is so clunky.

To get a good look at your System config. for conflicts or issues, you can run this trusted utility http://etrecheck.com  

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

You can set its preference to "Allow full Disk Access",  with this you get a digest of issues from the last 7 days that are saved in your system.

Jan 31, 2020 10:01 AM in response to leroydouglas

I looked through the report, most of which I don't understand, but I'll mention these items:

I disabled Time machine to try to improve computer performance.

I’ve used Avast and Malware Bytes to identify and quarantine certain adware, etc.

I no longer use Logitech remote control.

I no longer have a Seagate external drive for Time Machine (now using WD)

I don’t need Canon IJ network Scanner at login.

I don’t need Real Player Downloader agent at login.

In startup items, if HP means Hewlitt Packard, I used to have an HP printer over 10 years ago, but don’t now.

Thanks Leroy!

Jan 31, 2020 8:06 AM in response to leroydouglas

Leroy, Just to give you an update...

Turning off junk filtering doesn't do anything. Junk is still filtered, often mistakenly, as before.

Using advanced settings and setting custom actions doesn't do a thing. For instance: "if sender is in contacts, move message to inbox"... but mail from contacts is still routed to my junk folder. And other custom actions don't work either.

Junk filter malfunctioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.