Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color banding when dolby vision is activated.

Hi! I have a philips 50pus8204 TV. When activating dolby vision on my connected Apple tv 4k a lot of color banding appears. All the icons on the home menu have very much banding.

I have a 4k hdmi cable. These bandings does not appear when watching dolby vision content from the built-in smart tv.

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 8:17 AM

15 replies

Mar 3, 2020 11:59 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for your suggestions, really appreciated! :)

• Yes, I’ve tried every possible setting. The only setting to prevent the color banding is to put it on HDR/SDR.
  • All TV settings are good too. I think I might say that I tried every possible combination of TV/ATV settings, without any luck.
  • I’m not using Wi-Fi, my internet speeds are good. Like the others are saying: even the icons in the main menu of the ATV have color banding issues with DV on. So that tells me that the issue is not network related.

I really think it’s firmware related, but it frustrates me that I don’t know if it’s the TV or the ATV..

Feb 5, 2020 5:43 AM in response to badbroetchen

Nope, still the same problem. I tried the built-in Netflix app on the tv which had waay better blacks and colors overall. So it seems like something is brutally wrong with dolby vision on the Apple TV.

I will try replacing the unit this weekend, I will update you if that fixes the problem.

I don't know if you have the same remote as me, but to see info about the incoming signal I press the plus button to the right of the home button and then "device info".

Feb 18, 2020 12:21 PM in response to DenOndeElvispen

Thanks for your feedback! I did not change the appletv, but I bought some expensive HDMI cables, officially supporting DV with the appletv. But that also did not solve the issue.

But found some similar threads in forums, people have same issues. So it seems to be a general problem, most obviously with Philips TVs. I hope they will solve it with a FW Update one day.

So far I’ve changed the output signal to HDR@60Hz, what helps a lot. But there is still some banding noticeable.

Next I’ll try to find some test pictures or videos and will compare quality between native tv (usb) and appletv. But not completed sure how to handle this exactly.

Mar 3, 2020 11:13 AM in response to Willooo

Same here, though with the Apple TV I have the perfect all in one device for Netflix, amazon, and as well for TV via Waipu.tv. And it’s definitely not related to the cables, I tested 3, 2 of them completely new. All the same...

maybe it has something to do with the interaction of the Apple TV and Philips TVs.

Still hoping there will be a fix available one day

Color banding when dolby vision is activated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.