Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On iPhone 11 Pro -- when making/receiving calls -- mute button activates

This is a recent problem I've been having -- where every call I make, the mute button is activated. I understand it's a sensor issue or is it an OS update issue?

Thanks!

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 12:52 PM

Okay, I was believing you were referring to the Mute for the ringer. Do you have a case on the iPhone? Do you have a screen protector on it? It is possible that something may be blocking the proximity sensor when you are bringing the iPhone up to your face, so that the screen is not turning off. If you have a chance, make a call to someone who doesn't mind if you test a few things. I usually use my son for that, and after the call connects, bring the iPhone away from your ear. The screen should light up. Take your hand and bring it over the earpiece of the phone and the screen should go dark, remove it and it should light up again. If not, make a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple Store to have the device checked.

Now if you do have a case or screen protector, make sure that it is not interfering with the proximity sensor. For the iPhone 11 Pro, there should be a notch in the screen protector, and a case should not obstruct any part of the earpiece, front facing camera, and sensor area.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2020 12:52 PM in response to jake27r

Okay, I was believing you were referring to the Mute for the ringer. Do you have a case on the iPhone? Do you have a screen protector on it? It is possible that something may be blocking the proximity sensor when you are bringing the iPhone up to your face, so that the screen is not turning off. If you have a chance, make a call to someone who doesn't mind if you test a few things. I usually use my son for that, and after the call connects, bring the iPhone away from your ear. The screen should light up. Take your hand and bring it over the earpiece of the phone and the screen should go dark, remove it and it should light up again. If not, make a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple Store to have the device checked.

Now if you do have a case or screen protector, make sure that it is not interfering with the proximity sensor. For the iPhone 11 Pro, there should be a notch in the screen protector, and a case should not obstruct any part of the earpiece, front facing camera, and sensor area.

On iPhone 11 Pro -- when making/receiving calls -- mute button activates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.