Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do older builds of itunes support ipod classic?

HDD died in my iPod classic recently. In the process of fixing it, hooked it up to iTunes to make sure it syncs up fine before sealing the deal and putting the back on, and it doesn't appear in iTunes. Looking around these forums, it seems that this is a known problem with some of the more recent versions of iTunes. The thing is I'm already on an older build... iTunes 12.10.2.3. Wondering if there are any older versions that are known to work, and if so which one I should go for. The iPod is a video actually, so 5th gen if I'm not mistaken. Don't know if that matters.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advanced.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 11:18 PM

Okay, so I got it figured out. iTunes was just being tricky. The first time it asked to restore the iPod, iTunes froze on that screen. I'm pretty sure I hit the restore button, to no avail, and then the done button. Once it came out of the freeze, I guess it followed through with me pressing "done" but not restore. I plugged it in again and was able to successfully restore it this time, however it it kept starting up and shutting off afterwards. Wouldn't go past the Apple logo screen. This time I had to unplug it, close iTunes, reopen iTunes, and then plug the iPod back in, but it worked like a charm and we are now back in business! Thanks for the help though.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2020 11:18 PM in response to Iron_Heinrich

Okay, so I got it figured out. iTunes was just being tricky. The first time it asked to restore the iPod, iTunes froze on that screen. I'm pretty sure I hit the restore button, to no avail, and then the done button. Once it came out of the freeze, I guess it followed through with me pressing "done" but not restore. I plugged it in again and was able to successfully restore it this time, however it it kept starting up and shutting off afterwards. Wouldn't go past the Apple logo screen. This time I had to unplug it, close iTunes, reopen iTunes, and then plug the iPod back in, but it worked like a charm and we are now back in business! Thanks for the help though.

Jan 28, 2020 10:57 PM in response to QuickPost

The iPod fires up fine. Once powered on it displays that screen saying it needs to be restored. I even hooked it up to iTunes and iTunes recognized that there was a device needing to be restored. I pressed the restore button and iTunes went back to library page without showing a device as being plugged in. Meanwhile, my ipod was flashing the do not disconnect scree, but the black and white one, not the one you usually see when syncing music.

Do older builds of itunes support ipod classic?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.