Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.11.3 won't recognise iPod Classic

Since downloading iTunes 12.11.3 on my PC, iTunes no longer recognises my iPod Classic (one of the really old ones, 80GB with a grey disc control and white button set into the front of the housing). All was working fine before downloading iTunes 12.11.3. I love this iPod - it's been part-way round the world with me and it's less complex than newer versions - just does what I want it to without any extra stuff I don't want, but now iTunes is shutting it out. Please can anyone help?

iPod Classic

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 10:23 AM

Hi OGodiver,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with your iPod Classic not being detected when connected to your computer, and we'd be happy to provide you with the best steps.

To get started, are you see any particular errors after connecting your iPod with your PC? For example, have you seen an error that reads, "iTunes could not connect [Device] because it received an invalid response from the device"?

If not, give the steps listed in the following resource a try that may be able to help with the issue you're seeing: If your Windows PC doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

If you continue to run into issues after going through the steps above, then we would recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly from this link here: Get Support - Apple

We hope that's able to help.

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2021 10:23 AM in response to OGodiver

Hi OGodiver,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with your iPod Classic not being detected when connected to your computer, and we'd be happy to provide you with the best steps.

To get started, are you see any particular errors after connecting your iPod with your PC? For example, have you seen an error that reads, "iTunes could not connect [Device] because it received an invalid response from the device"?

If not, give the steps listed in the following resource a try that may be able to help with the issue you're seeing: If your Windows PC doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

If you continue to run into issues after going through the steps above, then we would recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly from this link here: Get Support - Apple

We hope that's able to help.

Cheers!

Aug 10, 2021 1:53 PM in response to Chris_V89

Thanks Chris_V89. I've gone through all the procedures, or as far as I was permitted to, at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212542, for the link to which thanks, but it hasn't worked. I've now gone for the Apple support option.

I chose an online chat first, for which I had to enter my iPod's serial number. I did so, but got a dialogue window saying that the number I'd entered was for a different device and to try again. I checked and re-checked the serial number, both in 'About' in the iPod's settings and on the back of the iPod - I had it right, but Apple support still wouldn't accept it.

I'm now going to try scheduling a phone call instead, as the only option left.

Thank you very much for your help - I'm just disappointed with the online chat portal's inability to recognise my iPod's correct serial number!

Thanks again.

Aug 10, 2021 1:56 PM in response to OGodiver

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment. Links to the most recent builds are now at the bottom of the page.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

iTunes 12.11.3 won't recognise iPod Classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.