Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes doesnt recognise my Ipod classic anymore

I did a reboot on my Ipod classic as it wasnt responding and now it wont connect to my itunes at all. My computer recognises it as a removable disk but for some reason it wont connect to iTunes. I've tried restarting both my device and laptop, I've tried updating to the latest software and nothing.

Has Apple just made it so I cant use my Ipod classic anymore? Or is this actually fixable?

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 1:30 AM

Windows or Mac? If Windows try iOS device not showing in iTunes for Windows - Apple Community. Despite the title the same steps can help. See also Corrupt iPod Classic - Apple Community. What are your HDD stats?

tt2

12 replies

Apr 4, 2021 9:23 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi tt

And thanks so much for the assistance.

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6, the latest my iMac will use.

iPod Test results are:

ret 5

realloc 88

pend sec 24

power 364

sta/st 70530

temp c 29

min 9

max 56

So from the article my uneducated guess is that thousands of reallocations suggests a failing iPod HD (as opposed to just 88). But I am a tech novice, and there may be more to it than that.

Other potentially relevant info:

• once I connect iPod then iTunes is not responding and I have to force quit;
  • the iMac recognised my iPod as a device but won't eject it via Finder;
  • iPod appears wiped and shows no content, but looking at iPod as a drive, it's showing a heap of memory take up, so I'm assuming the music is still on there;
  • I'm nervous about performing a factory reset in case all of my music collection disappears from the iPod (although it's still on iTunes, and there's an argument that I can't access it through the iPod currently anyway)

Kev

Mar 29, 2021 7:09 PM in response to Arma12

Same - what's more, the iPod appears to be wiped clean, or at least is showing no music when i try and play it. This is just the day after I installed a new iTunes update. Can we have some sort fo response Apple? I trust this isn't aiming to make us all migrate to subscription Music when we don't want to :0(

Apr 4, 2021 1:27 AM in response to Arma12

For me it's not a case of my iPod Classic not showing up. The iPod itself is showing as 'Connected' on its screen. And it's recognised as a device in Finder - which shows me folders of Calendar, Contacts, Notes and Recordings. It just won't show up in iTunes - which happens to be the next time I tried to sync after an iTunes update - and freezes when I try and do anything in iTunes such that I seem to have no other option other than to force quit.

Apr 5, 2021 3:42 AM in response to KevvieL

Hi,

The main issue you have right now is the 24 pendings. If these represent parts of song files it isn't so bad. The song will stall during playback, and then the iPod will skip on to the next one. However if the unreadable data is part of a folder or the device's database then it cannot work properly at all. This will be why it appears empty and freezes on access. If you have all of the media in your library then you can afford to erase it. If not the first section of the user tip has advice on reclaiming media. You need to use the restore, DFU restore, or reformat options to reset the device and convert the 24 pendings into reallocations. Once the pending count is down to zero you should be able to reload your media and carry on as before.

tt2

Apr 5, 2021 7:40 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi tt2

Thanks. I would not have known how to perform a reset without being able to connect to iTunes had you not told me. I've now done that and the iPod is now recognised by and sync'ing with iTunes (and currently through 8k of 13k songs!)

I've also been a contributor to a Community forum and I know how time consuming these things can be, so can I say a sincere thanks for the effort you put in. I'm sure it is all truly appreciated by all users.

Cheers

KevvieLL

Apr 28, 2021 12:51 PM in response to Arma12

My Ipod classic was just fine until I went to update it with a couple of new songs I just purchased. Itunes has a newer version of the software so I downloaded. Got the message that my Ipod would have to be restored. I did it knowing my music is still in Itunes and on my phone. So once back to factory reset, I click on the ipod icon to sync it with itunes... I keep getting the message that the ipod needs to be reset even though it has been. I want to undo the itunes software update and get my music bad on my Ipod. This is really annoying! My classic works just fine other than not being bluetooth!

Apr 28, 2021 1:28 PM in response to Arma12

Hi - I just replied a few minutes ago. So I decided to try something and it seems to be working. I ejected the Ipod from Itunes and shut it down completely. When I opened it up again badabing I now got the Apple home screen on my computer Itunes now recognized it as a new device. I am sync-ing my music right now. Give that a try. There's definitely something up with that last Itunes update though. Hope this helps!

Itunes doesnt recognise my Ipod classic anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.