Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Activation Lock question

Hi,

I recently sold my old faulty iPad Air 2 on eBay. It was working fine until one day when it just wouldn't switch on. The buyer wanted it apparently for the screen. He has since come back to me and said it is iCloud locked and marked as lost. I suspect this is because I set it to remote erase in iCloud, which I'm told it will do if he ever manages to fix it and connect it to wi-fi.

He has asked me to remove the iPad from my iCloud account. If I do this and he gets it working again, what will happen? Obviously, as it just failed, I didn't get chance to wipe it before selling it.

The iPad had a passcode on it. Will that be intact if he gets it to power up again, and then he'll just have to erase it? Basically, I just want to make sure that if I remove from my iCloud account, he won't have access to the data on the old iPad.

Thanks in advance for your help.

iPad Air 2, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 10:59 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 28, 2020 11:17 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Hi,

Thanks for the link. I'm guessing the relevant part is the below. However, the iPad currently can't be erased as it's dead. What I want to know is, if he gets it back up and running, will it still auto erase itself if I have removed it from my iCloud account (remember, its currently on my iCloud account and set to erase, which will apparently happen if it boots up and the new owner connects it to wi-fi). Or if it won't auto-erase, will the pin code still be in effect, meaning he'll have to select to reset and erase it manually before he can use it?

1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings using the above steps.
  2. If you're using iCloud and Find My [device] on the device, sign in to iCloud.com or the Find My app on another device, select the device, and click Erase. After the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.

iPad Activation Lock question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.