Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I partition an external drive after it's encrypted and used as Time Machine for backup?

Will I lose data if I partition the external drive after it's been encrypted and use as Time Machine to backup my MacBook Pro? I realized that Time Machine will use all of the space on the external hard drive for backup and do not leave any space for me to store other files/folders. So, I need to partition the external drive.

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 6:50 AM

Most Mac veterans advise against partitioning the TimeMachine drive and recommend using a second drive for additional data. The reason is twofold. First, partitioning the drive doubles the potential loss if the partition table is damaged: data and backup. Second, either the data on that second partition isn't being backed up (bad) or TimeMachine is backing it up on the same drive that it is stored on (also bad). Saving the data on a different drive allows you to have a copy on a drive and the backup on two different drives - much safer.

But can you do it? Yes...but I'd never consider partitioning a drive with data on it unless it has been backed up...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2020 6:50 AM in response to LCMan

Most Mac veterans advise against partitioning the TimeMachine drive and recommend using a second drive for additional data. The reason is twofold. First, partitioning the drive doubles the potential loss if the partition table is damaged: data and backup. Second, either the data on that second partition isn't being backed up (bad) or TimeMachine is backing it up on the same drive that it is stored on (also bad). Saving the data on a different drive allows you to have a copy on a drive and the backup on two different drives - much safer.

But can you do it? Yes...but I'd never consider partitioning a drive with data on it unless it has been backed up...

Can I partition an external drive after it's encrypted and used as Time Machine for backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.