Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air will not update to 10.15.3

My laptop has supposedly downloaded the update and when I click to update now, it says it has to restart my computer, and I allow it. Then it pops up with the black screen, apple icon, loading bar, but it doesn't load and then appears to restart quickly, shows the same screen with the loading bar full, and when I log in again, it says that I still need to update it.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 5:48 PM

3 replies

Jan 29, 2020 7:27 PM in response to artemis2403

Please see the following:

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  3. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences, if needed, after resetting the PRAM.
  6. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.  Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  7. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  8. Download and Install the macOS Catalina 10.15.3 Combo Update.

Jan 30, 2020 7:19 PM in response to artemis2403

I ended up just doing the last step in that process and it seems to have successfully installed the update. One problem I had was that apparently I didn't have enough free disk space so, to anyone reading this, make sure you check that. Also the update that was available in my system preferences was not the same size as the one I got from that link, which is strange but I don't know if it was the main issue.

MacBook Air will not update to 10.15.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.