Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac 8

Hey!

My Dad has been given an Imac 8 by someone but their details are still on the system. I want to reset it back to factory settings and have been told to turn it on and hold command R. Is there another way of doing this without a wireless keyboard as obviously it isn't connected once turned off.

Thanks

iPad, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 4:58 PM

And if you mean iMac with Mac OS X 10.8, every numeral of the operating system is important. Do not omit details from Apple menu -> About This Mac in the operating system version.

So please gather the details. Your posting in this forum with only partial details leaves the experts confused how we can help you.

You might as well say: "I play with socks," and you could have meant the Boston Red Socks.

Clarity, clarity, clarity.

Thank you.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2020 4:58 PM in response to K Shaffer

And if you mean iMac with Mac OS X 10.8, every numeral of the operating system is important. Do not omit details from Apple menu -> About This Mac in the operating system version.

So please gather the details. Your posting in this forum with only partial details leaves the experts confused how we can help you.

You might as well say: "I play with socks," and you could have meant the Boston Red Socks.

Clarity, clarity, clarity.

Thank you.

Feb 1, 2020 1:51 PM in response to K Shaffer

Shaffer has a point. We really need you to give us more details.

In 1998-1999 there was a Mac OS 8. That system did not support internet restore.

Before 2011, no Macs shipped with operating systems that could do internet restore off the bat.

Mac OS X 10.7 was the first that supported internet restore. Before that point installation discs were bundled with Macs.

And Macs that started with an earlier operating system need either the prebundled disc or a retail disc if old enough to install an internet restore capable operating system and install a firmware to allow it to do internet restore.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202313

Feb 1, 2020 3:09 PM in response to alexandrea112

There is a larger than necessary database of All iMac products from 1998 to present here:

• Apple iMac Specs (All iMac Tech Specs): EveryMac.com

https://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac

"The iMac series can be divided into Six basic groups -- the colorful iMac G3, the white

half-sphere iMac G4, flat white "pizza-box" iMac G5, the white Intel iMacs, the Aluminum

iMacs, and the current Tapered Edge Aluminum iMacs."

• Ultimate Mac Lookup - EveryMac.com

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

"..Lookup by Apple Order Number, Model Number, EMC Number, Model Identifier, and Serial Number.."

Good luck & happy trails!☃️🍀

Imac 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.