You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family members can't see playlists in music

I'm sharing an Apple Music family membership with my wife and daughter. I made playlists of my own music in the Music app on my iMac comprised of my own music in my own library (that's where the library lives). As I understand it, I can only share playlists (of my own library) with the Apple Music subscription. So, I signed up as a family. They are able to use Apple Music, but, they still can't see playlists made on our iMac, and they can't see or use our own music library on their iPhones. I also can't see the playlists I made for them on my iPhone. This is exceptionally frustrating.

iPhone 11

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 11:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 12:42 PM

Did you follow the steps in the "Share a playlist through Apple Music" section of:

Create and share Apple Music playlists - Apple Support

5 replies

Feb 2, 2020 5:10 PM in response to redhub1

No, I didn't because as I said I already have a playlist curated from my own library.

You should have, as it directly addresses your issue.

I used to be able to make my own playlists with my own music and put them on MY phones with MY computer using iTunes, but I guess Apple wasn't making enough money that way.

Ands you still can, so I don't understand your rant.

Feb 3, 2020 8:10 AM in response to LACAllen

That's cute. Just because you highlight a headline from an article and make it bigger doesn't mean it's true.

I did read AND follow the directions. Still no help. I have two playlists that I made before I signed up for Apple Music and when I "go to the drop down list to find 'share playlist'" (as you can see from the screenshot)...it isn't there.

So, I still have the same issue. I cannot share playlists that I created before signing up with Apple Music. As I said before, I could not do it before I signed up with Apple Music either, that's why I signed up with them (because I read the headline you quoted). If I am missing something, someone enlighten me. I'm not an idiot. I've been with Apple since the mid-nineties, I don't go and rant on forums until I have exhausted everything I know how to do and read all of the articles I can find.

Also, those playlists do not show up on my phone either and I'm the one who created them with my computer with the same Apple ID. I've tried everything. I've signed out of my Apple ID and signed back in. I've re-authorized my computer, I've restarted my phone so many times and so many other things that I'm not going to list them all here and I still have the same issue.

So tell me again how I shouldn't be ranting.

Jan 31, 2020 2:26 PM in response to javaliga

No, I didn't because as I said I already have a playlist curated from my own library. I don't really want to spend the time to duplicate a playlist of 6,300 songs using music from Apple Music. I used to be able to make my own playlists with my own music and put them on MY phones with MY computer using iTunes, but I guess Apple wasn't making enough money that way.

Family members can't see playlists in music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.