Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using photos from Photos app as desktop background

Hi,

Before the upgrade to Catalina, I was able to use pictures from the Photos app as desktop background. More specifically I was using a entire shared album with rotating pictures every 30 mins.

Since Catalina, and I've reproduced this on my 2 MBP 13' (of different years), it is impossible to select a shared album from the Photos app. In the interface to choose which folder, the shared album list is displayed, but when selecting a shared album it won't load the pictures and refuses to use them as background image.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2020 10:49 AM

Shared albums are one of the reasons I have loved Photos. My wife loves to see shared photos of grandkids etc across the years pop up as desktop pictures etc. Also, she isn't savoy with computers and I can share things with her that come from the kids etc.

Since Catalina launched, shared albums, used as a desktop, fails to work as it had for years. Almost all images stored in the saved albums "disappear" from "System Preferences - Desktop and Screen Saver" with each MACos update. I say most because a few always remain - why those? Who knows? Not Apple

The "work around" I got said that to get the pictures to work as a desktop or screen saver, I had to follow these very high tech directions;

1. Open System Preferences and then Quit them from the File Menu. (No red buttons!!)
  2. Go to Photos and open go to the shared album and open it and select the 1st picture. Then go through each picture one at a time. (right arrow etc). After completing the viewing of every picture, closes Photos.
  3. Reopen System Preferences and then select the shared album you just went through. It should now have pictures and will rotate etc as before Catalina.

However, if there is an update to MACos, you have to do this all again. Apparently the shared images are temporary and cleaned off the Mac at each upgrade. I have done this 4 times so far. Really fun isn't it?

I expected that an update to Catalina would fix this. But No!! On Feb 11, 2020, I was informed that this is how it will remain. Using the shared photo album images as desktop etc isn't really supported over the long. It was further explained that the "solution" is to copy all the shared images into my library and created an album there. That album could be used as desktop etc. Sort of defeats the purpose of a shared album doesn't it?

If anyone finds or has a better work around. Please let me know.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2020 10:49 AM in response to donv_the_ghost

Shared albums are one of the reasons I have loved Photos. My wife loves to see shared photos of grandkids etc across the years pop up as desktop pictures etc. Also, she isn't savoy with computers and I can share things with her that come from the kids etc.

Since Catalina launched, shared albums, used as a desktop, fails to work as it had for years. Almost all images stored in the saved albums "disappear" from "System Preferences - Desktop and Screen Saver" with each MACos update. I say most because a few always remain - why those? Who knows? Not Apple

The "work around" I got said that to get the pictures to work as a desktop or screen saver, I had to follow these very high tech directions;

1. Open System Preferences and then Quit them from the File Menu. (No red buttons!!)
  2. Go to Photos and open go to the shared album and open it and select the 1st picture. Then go through each picture one at a time. (right arrow etc). After completing the viewing of every picture, closes Photos.
  3. Reopen System Preferences and then select the shared album you just went through. It should now have pictures and will rotate etc as before Catalina.

However, if there is an update to MACos, you have to do this all again. Apparently the shared images are temporary and cleaned off the Mac at each upgrade. I have done this 4 times so far. Really fun isn't it?

I expected that an update to Catalina would fix this. But No!! On Feb 11, 2020, I was informed that this is how it will remain. Using the shared photo album images as desktop etc isn't really supported over the long. It was further explained that the "solution" is to copy all the shared images into my library and created an album there. That album could be used as desktop etc. Sort of defeats the purpose of a shared album doesn't it?

If anyone finds or has a better work around. Please let me know.

Feb 11, 2020 11:43 AM in response to Adams261

Oh wow!

That's incredibly sad they removed support for shared albums for desktop backgrounds. I myself use it to have some private images on my work laptop without having my entire photo library downloaded on my work laptop.

I found the solution of having a single shared album for that purpose, and it's been working very fine for several years.

Thanks for the hack!

Somehow I had managed to do it on 1 of my computers, but not the other one, without understanding how it could work in one case, but not the other.

I'm hoping they address this issue, sounds like a little bug (why even show the shared albums in the preference system, if they are no longer supported??)

Using photos from Photos app as desktop background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.