Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared albums

My Mac is not retrieving the photos from a shared album unless I turn off shared albums and turn it on again. What is wrong? I have catalina.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 1:14 AM

Could it be, that your Photos Library is on an external volume and not always connected, when you are signed into your user account? Your system Photos Library needs always to be available for the background processes, even if you are not using Photos. On older system versions the shared albums have been stored in the user library in your home folder, so they could be accessed from several applications (Aperture, iPhoto, Photos). But since Catalina only Photos has been left, so the shared albums have been moved into your system photos library.

This requires your system Photos Library always to be available, so the cloud processes can update it, even when you are not working with Photos.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2021 1:14 AM in response to stwarthen

Could it be, that your Photos Library is on an external volume and not always connected, when you are signed into your user account? Your system Photos Library needs always to be available for the background processes, even if you are not using Photos. On older system versions the shared albums have been stored in the user library in your home folder, so they could be accessed from several applications (Aperture, iPhoto, Photos). But since Catalina only Photos has been left, so the shared albums have been moved into your system photos library.

This requires your system Photos Library always to be available, so the cloud processes can update it, even when you are not working with Photos.

Shared albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.