Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Secondary email account

My main email account is a gmail one in my name, but my wife uses my computer and I have set up a gmail mail account in her name and with her individual email address. Yet when she sends an email from her account, the 'From…' address shown at its. head is mine, not hers. (If I change it in Mail Preferences, it changes the 'From…' address in my personal emails also.)

Is there anything I can do to make my wife's emails show her email address as the sender's address while keeping my email address as the sender's address in my emails?

Thank you in anticipation of help.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 1:22 PM

Set up a second user account on the computer for your wife.

Then setup Mail in her account with the default you wish her to use.

Otherwise one or the other of you will always have to select the From address for your email.

There can only be one default From address in Mail.

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 1, 2020 1:20 PM in response to Michael Graubart

You have to set up another user account for your wife to use. You can't have two users on one account without both accounts being affected. Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and authenticate. Click on the Add [+] button to start a New Account. Select Standard from the dropdown menu. This will prevent your wife from being able to upgrade or update software you have downloaded nor to be able to make changes in or have access to your account. If you prefer she have equal access, then setup the account as an Administrator account. Now, click on Login Options button and click on the Show fast user switching menu as: checkbox, then select how you want it displayed in the menubar from the dropdown menu.

That's it. She now has an account of her own. If you set up a Standard account, then you can setup what she has access to, etc. using Screen Time preferences. See Use Screen Time on your Mac and Set up content and privacy restrictions in Screen Time on Mac.

Feb 1, 2020 4:45 PM in response to Kappy

That all worked wonderfully, Kappy. But it turns out that she does not want to go through the hoops of opening her User profile, etc., and prefers to stay with our present arrangement, changing the 'From…' name manually each time she writes an email. So much for being helpful! Now I want to remove her account and got this far (see attached screen shot), but her name is greyed out. How can I remove it? Can you help, please?

Feb 8, 2020 12:46 PM in response to Michael Graubart

In case anyone else finds themselves in the situation of having created a profile, subsequently wanting to remove it, and finding its name greyed out in Syst. Prefs/Users & Groups, I made an interesting discovery before trying any of the above suggestions. As I do from time to time when I think of it, I ran a comprehensive clean-up, maintenance and script-running procedure by means of that excellent app, Onyx. When it was finished, I looked at Users & Groups again — and my wife's new profile was no longer greyed out. So I can now delete it straightforwardly once she has definitely made up her mind which mail account she wants to use.

Secondary email account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.