Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

YouTube App on Apple TV HD - highlight clipping on rec709 footage HDR10 TV

Does anyone know why this is happening ? Specifically bright colored highlights, (sun, sky's etc), look like they "foldover" about a second after initial display, particularly noticeable on crossfades to/from black other picture content.

I'm not seeing the same problem using the native android app on the same TV outside of AppleTV !

Is this a YouTube problem or an Apple problem ?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Feb 2, 2020 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2020 2:43 PM

Sorry but other than the fact that the content is coming from YouTubes servers and subject to their encoding none of what you say is truly accurate.

Please reread my post here:

”Well it’s an application built using Apple Tools running on Apple hardware - so I’m afraid there is plenty of room for a problem with HDR10 / rec709 originated content being displayed improperly to be a problem with Apples toolset or YouTubes coding or a combination of both.”

Also the “app” comes from Apples servers but I would doubt that would ever cause this kind of problem.

In both cases YouTubes app both clearly sees the metadata correctly as rec709 encoding yet the problem only appears using the Apple native app. From a simple signal flow point of view there’s plenty of room for the problem to occur in Apples sdk, in tvOS itself or as a result of bad coding on YouTubes part.

I was simply asking a question here hoping to find someone knowledgeable enough who could speak to the problem without the standard “Not Apples problem” fanboy reply which seems to be a defining characteristic of anyone here rated above a two helpfulness or whatever that parameter in your profile is supposed to indicate.

Helpful tip: In life it helps to assume nothing until proven otherwise.

Please don’t waste any more of you valuable time on this - clearly you have other “Not Apples fault” messages to convey to the masses.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2020 2:43 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Sorry but other than the fact that the content is coming from YouTubes servers and subject to their encoding none of what you say is truly accurate.

Please reread my post here:

”Well it’s an application built using Apple Tools running on Apple hardware - so I’m afraid there is plenty of room for a problem with HDR10 / rec709 originated content being displayed improperly to be a problem with Apples toolset or YouTubes coding or a combination of both.”

Also the “app” comes from Apples servers but I would doubt that would ever cause this kind of problem.

In both cases YouTubes app both clearly sees the metadata correctly as rec709 encoding yet the problem only appears using the Apple native app. From a simple signal flow point of view there’s plenty of room for the problem to occur in Apples sdk, in tvOS itself or as a result of bad coding on YouTubes part.

I was simply asking a question here hoping to find someone knowledgeable enough who could speak to the problem without the standard “Not Apples problem” fanboy reply which seems to be a defining characteristic of anyone here rated above a two helpfulness or whatever that parameter in your profile is supposed to indicate.

Helpful tip: In life it helps to assume nothing until proven otherwise.

Please don’t waste any more of you valuable time on this - clearly you have other “Not Apples fault” messages to convey to the masses.

Feb 2, 2020 2:18 PM in response to a_mumford

On the other hand, the content in question comes from YouTube servers. As does the actual app.

You can try restarting the device, but beyond that, as previously stated, you should reach out to the app vendor.

Helpful tip: you probably don’t know as much as you think you do, so you might try responding to those try to help with a bit more respect.

You can also submit the issue to Apple Support so they can essentially tell you the same thing: https://support.apple.com/apple-tv

Feb 2, 2020 3:53 PM in response to a_mumford

Can we focus and keep it friendly, please?

• Apple TV HD doesn’t support HDR, nor receives such content to clip highlights. There is no conversion on the device.
  • YouTube has separate streams ready for delivery to various devices, in various dynamic ranges and resolutions and codecs. Non-HDR devices only have non-HDR streams to access. Apple TV apps do not access VP9 streams, with includes YT 4K and HDR content. Any conversion and clipping will have been done server side. It is not done at app level.

Feb 2, 2020 4:40 PM in response to Urquhart1244

My mistake Apple TV 4K ... which does definitely does it not ?

————-

About 4K, HDR, and Dolby Vision on your Apple TV 4K

Learn how to set up your Apple TV 4K for the best 4K, HDR, or Dolby Vision experience.

Apple TV 4K is built to take full advantage of 4K HDR so you can enjoy TV in the highest quality ever. Apple TV 4K supports the following 4K display formats:

• 4K Standard Dynamic Range (SDR): Used for 4K televisions that don’t support HDR10 or Dolby Vision. 
  • 4K High Dynamic Range (HDR): Used for 4K televisions that support HDR to display video with a broader range of colors and luminance.
  • 4K Dolby Vision: Used for 4K televisions that support Dolby Vision HDR to display video with a broader range of colors and luminance optimized for your television.

When you first connect your Apple TV 4K to a 4K television capable of HDR10 or Dolby Vision, you may be prompted to run a short display test for these formats. Follow the onscreen instructions to run the test, and confirm that you have a clear picture. If Apple TV 4K is unable to confirm that your television can display Dolby Vision or HDR10, it will automatically revert back to the mode it was previously using.

——-

Feb 2, 2020 1:57 PM in response to QuickPost

Well it’s an application built using Apple Tools running on Apple hardware - so I’m afraid there is plenty of room for a problem with HDR10 / rec709 originated content being displayed improperly to be a problem with Apples toolset or YouTubes coding or a combination of both.

Please don’t post “generic” answers to questions about problems you clearly don’t understand.

Feb 2, 2020 3:02 PM in response to a_mumford

No one said it was Not Apple’s fault” (you are the only one even referencing that phrase or approach). The point is that the app, the code that uses the codecs and the platform to deliver the service, is not Apple’s. No one at Apple wrote this app. Google’s YouTube subsidiary did. Even if there is an issue with tvOS, unless you have experienced the same issue with another app delivering video services, the logical place to start is with the app and service responsible for the content. It is also frankly where both Apple and Google/Youtube would prefer to start.

Have you actually done any troubleshooting before posting? If so you were too ignorant, or arrogant, to state what it was.

Good luck with the issue. Obviously you already have the answers. Not sure why you bothered posting to begin with, other than trying to impress someone? Rather sad.

Feb 2, 2020 3:12 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

”Not Apples Fault” clearly implied.

”Troubleshooting” - the initial question clearly demonstrates a least rudimentary attempt- I.e. I don’t see the problem outside of Apple TV display. Are you too ignorant or arrogant to read the question as stated.

I stand by everything else posted.

Not bothered by your attempt at public shaming btw - “rather sad” back at ya.

Feb 2, 2020 4:48 PM in response to a_mumford

Unfortunately, that still doesn’t apply to YouTube. Apple TV apps (including the tvOS YouTube app) do not access streams with the VP9 codec, which is what YouTube uses for 4K and HDR content. You won’t get 4K through the YouTube app, nor HDR. Instead you will get HD SDR content from their servers (H.264 codec). Any conversion and clipping will have been done server side.

Feb 2, 2020 5:38 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Which is OK since the content is HD1080 rec709.

The problem is though the unwanted compression/ fold over in the highlights that happens in the AppleTV / YouTube app combo vs the native Android implementation on the TV. It’s a Sony XBR 65X800G fwiw.

Do you know how Apple TVOS handles the presentation of standard rec709 gamut on to an output device that it recognises a HDR capable even if only HDR10 ?

Thx for your input.

Feb 2, 2020 6:23 PM in response to a_mumford

… how Apple TVOS handles the presentation of standard rec709 gamut on to an output device that it recognises a HDR capable even if only HDR10 ?

It depends on its settings. Apple TV 4K can “upscale” SDR to HDR, if ‘Match Dynamic Range’ is not checked. When ‘Match Dynamic Range’ is checked, it will send Dolby Vision as Dolby Vision (if supported), HDR10 as HDR10 (if supported), and SDR as SDR. I would recommend that setting always, to keep things as intended by their makers, and to avoid what I perceive as unnatural colors. It shouldn’t result in clipping, but I haven’t looked for that specifically.

YouTube App on Apple TV HD - highlight clipping on rec709 footage HDR10 TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.