Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting posix error -536870212 within appstores

I am getting posix error -536870212 within the appstore and cannot download any apps

I am looking to find out some extra steps / get some troubleshooting to resolve this issue and see what can be done to allow installation

Thanks

Posted on Feb 2, 2020 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 9:26 AM

jaimesharp,

Thanks for the update. I appreciate the work you have put in. As you can sign in to iCloud, you shouldn’t need to change your password as a troubleshooting step.

I would like to see if you can access the App Store on your Mac while it is booted into safe mode.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

"Safe mode (sometimes called safe boot) is a way to start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks and prevents some software from automatically loading or opening. Starting your Mac in safe mode does the following:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents startup items and login items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts 
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

If your Mac has an issue that goes away when you start up in safe mode, you might be able to isolate the cause."

I would also like to know if you can access the App Store while in a test user. "If an issue stops happening when you log out of your macOS user account and log in with another, the issue could be related to the files or settings in your user account."

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Once it's determined if this is occurring in safe mode or while booted into a test user, there should be a path on how to resolve this!

Regards.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 9:26 AM in response to jaimesharp

jaimesharp,

Thanks for the update. I appreciate the work you have put in. As you can sign in to iCloud, you shouldn’t need to change your password as a troubleshooting step.

I would like to see if you can access the App Store on your Mac while it is booted into safe mode.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

"Safe mode (sometimes called safe boot) is a way to start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks and prevents some software from automatically loading or opening. Starting your Mac in safe mode does the following:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents startup items and login items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts 
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

If your Mac has an issue that goes away when you start up in safe mode, you might be able to isolate the cause."

I would also like to know if you can access the App Store while in a test user. "If an issue stops happening when you log out of your macOS user account and log in with another, the issue could be related to the files or settings in your user account."

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Once it's determined if this is occurring in safe mode or while booted into a test user, there should be a path on how to resolve this!

Regards.

Feb 5, 2020 1:47 PM in response to jaimesharp

Hello, I understand that you are encountering an error when attempting to connect to the App Store. I’m glad to lend a hand.

I would start first with the Apple Support articles, If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or other Apple device and If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services.

A key call out from the second article is to "Update to the latest version of iOS or iPadOSmacOStvOSwatchOS." 

I would also suggest restarting your Mac in-between each step from the support articles. Log out, sleep, restart, or shut down your Mac

Best Regards.

Feb 5, 2020 1:53 PM in response to jeremy_v

Thank you for your reply Jeremy , I can sign in fine , I could change the password but it does work for ICloud etc

I Am running the latest operating systems on my devices , I have tried both wired and wireless connections

I have restarted my device a few hundred times so far

i am happy to reset the password but the linked articles are more IOS focused so not relevant to my issue

Getting posix error -536870212 within appstores

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.