Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating from Snow Leopard to High Sierra on my 2010 Imac.

I just bought a 2010 Imac and it has Snow Leopard on it currently. I need to put Mountian Lion on it so I then can upgrade to High Sierra. Do you guy have a link that I can download Mountain Lion?

iMac Pro

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 5:11 PM

Sorry to have misdirected you. It may be that attempting to jump directly to Yosemite was premature.

Let's try this:

-> Delete the previously downloaded InstallMacOSX.dmg and empty the trash.

-> Start at the Apple menu  > Software Update. Install any available updates for Snow Leopard, then restart your iMac.

-> Follow this link to download and Upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple

Once the upgrade to El Capitan is complete I think now you'll be set to upgrade to High Sierra.

-> Follow this link to download and Upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2020 5:11 PM in response to Dylanwy

Sorry to have misdirected you. It may be that attempting to jump directly to Yosemite was premature.

Let's try this:

-> Delete the previously downloaded InstallMacOSX.dmg and empty the trash.

-> Start at the Apple menu  > Software Update. Install any available updates for Snow Leopard, then restart your iMac.

-> Follow this link to download and Upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple

Once the upgrade to El Capitan is complete I think now you'll be set to upgrade to High Sierra.

-> Follow this link to download and Upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple

Feb 5, 2020 11:33 AM in response to Dylanwy

I see that we are on the same page. Unfortunately I am unsure what the hang up is in this case and am at a loss as to how to proceed from this point. As I see it you are following the instructions as presented in the support docs and I felt sure that the combination of available downloads would have been enough to get you to your destination here. You might try once more to download a fresh copy of 10.11 El Capitan after first deleting the current download.

You have the links to the Apple Support documents detailing how to upgrade from Snow Leopard to El Capitan. And I believe your iMac meets the requirements for the upgrade.

It may be that your original thoughts to download Mountain Lion and begin your upgrade from there were smack on target.

To that end, I've collected this link to the Mac OS X Mountain Lion retail purchase and download from the Apple Store.

I hope this will resolve the issue.

I apologize if my attempts to help have wasted your time.

If I have missed something I hope someone else will jump in here and offer a suggestion.

edit - You might try a restart in safe mode and let the iMac do cache cleaning and housekeeping. Perhaps attempt the install while in safe mode and see if that is successful. If not, reboot normally and try again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with you Mac - Apple Support

Updating from Snow Leopard to High Sierra on my 2010 Imac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.