Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina 10.15.3 and Turbotax 2019 won't open.

Turbotax 2019 installed and working fine. Updated to Catalina 10.15.3, now Turbotax will not open. I've used CD or downloaded application. Removed previous versions first. Try to open, get dialog box, "Wait until we see if everything is up to date." Then nothing.

Help!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 2:19 PM

• Problem solved. Go to intuit turbotax and search, “Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac“.
  • follow instructions to remove.
  • reinstall TurboTax. Works fine
29 replies

Feb 5, 2020 3:12 PM in response to donv_the_ghost

Can't access Mac right now. TurboTax 2019 should be 64 bit.

To further discussion, I was using TurboTax ok with Catalina 10.15.?, then did the upgrade to Cat 10.15.3. Since Mac upgrade, turbo won’t open.

launches and then shows window, “wait while we check for updates”, then it won’t launch.

Frustrated. No answers from Intuit or Apple.

Feb 13, 2020 1:56 PM in response to donv_the_ghost

I'm having the same issue, update to Catalina 10.15.3, TT won't open. Here is the app info on the system report:

TurboTax Home Business 2019:

Version: 2019.r14.032

Obtained from: Identified Developer

Last Modified: 1/30/20, 6:26 PM

Signed by: Developer ID Application: Intuit Inc. (G4SSPX3CBL), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

Kind: 64-bit

Feb 13, 2020 2:19 PM in response to donv_the_ghost

Well, it turned out that I had a problem running TT on Mohave too! I think there are two problems. On Mohave, TT opened but when I got to the last step of payment to file my state taxes, it blew up - offered to open a developer window, some other program I never heard of, and then generated a long error report to Apple. After that, I was not able to open TT at all.

The same thing happened initially on Catalina. I was able to open and run TT the first time, then it bombed when trying to pay state filing by credit card. I havn't been able to open the program since.

Feb 14, 2020 11:46 AM in response to cmyway9

I just got off the phone with TT support. I have gone through the above process with support person watching remotely. I did it on a Catalina OS and Mohave on a different Mac. Same results.

TT never was installed on the Mohave Mac - which is about a month old. It downloaded and installed updates, seemed to complete verification after the updates, but then the icon disappeared and it would not open when I tried through the application folder.

I was told I will get an investigation number, and a promise their high level support will get back to me within 48 hours. There are many of us in the same boat.

Feb 23, 2020 1:07 PM in response to brucecory

I have been a long time user of both Turbo Tax and Mac and since attempting to get taxes processed and completed it has been a nightmare. I installed Turbo Tax 2019 Home & Business (CD purchased from a retailer) on my desktop Mojave 10.14.6. It installed just fine. Went through the screens, input data as I have done for the past 10 years and noticed the Turbo Tax tabs and questions went cuckoo after completing just the federal portion. It bypassed the state filing... in fact in never even asked for it and continued right into audit protection offering while conducting a final review. Once the review was completed, screens of "We have caught a snag" populated and then it prompted for a software update. Turbo tax commenced with a software install which had very info while you allowed permission and minutes after a screen popped up stating, "Developer Tools Access needs to take control of another process for debugging to continue." Let's pause here... never saw this before on my devices after an update has been required when using a program. I reluctantly granted permission. I have researched online regarding what this is and I stumbled across forums saying its a CODEX issue, blah blah blah. I contacted technical support and three hours later, sorting through library files with the Turbo Tax Rep remotely dialed in watching and guiding, Turbo Tax finally reopened and my tax file was accessible. Had to then download the state forms and finish up inputting data. To be honest... I waited one week to just file it hoping that all the issues I was experiencing was resolved. To no avail... I attempted to file and there was still an issue. The program did allow me to get all the way to the e-file option but it shuts down. The most frustrating part is I feel like Turbo Tax Reps offer all the assistance they can but because the larger software compatibility problem is between Apple and Intuit... the elephant in the room... we, the users of both Apple and Turbo Tax are left to suffer and stress about our tax preparation and processing. This is not fair. I am not a software developer nor do I consider myself a Mac guru but I am just a paying customer who feels trapped in this situation which should have never happened. All the forums on line show testimonials that are finger pointing at both Turbo Tax and Apple and this is a travesty. Tax seasons are already stressful as it is and not having operational and dependable software and/or devices should never be an issue on such a large scale. I feel that Mac users are being punished because Apple and Intuit Turbo Tax developers are possibly refusing to compromise or just work together, whether for financial gain or for whatever stupid selfish reason. I have thrown my hands up in the air wondering when are the consumers who provide the platform for Apple and Turbo Tax to exist going to be taken care of and a viable solution is produced so that we are not suffering any further. On a final note... after two separate calls into Turbo Tax Technical Support, 8 hours of trouble shooting during those calls, the rep directs me to call Apple and present to them my issue because there is nothing further that can be done. A credit for next years version was noted on my case id if I choose to use their online version in the future. No solution... taxes not able to e-file... stuck wondering if this problem is every going to get resolved. - Deflated and mostly disappointed.

Feb 23, 2020 3:01 PM in response to mmozick

I did about 12 hours with tech support from Apple and TT over three days, with exactly the same issues. I never did get it to run on Catalina.

Eventually, I was able to complete and print my returns using Mohave and filed by snail mail. I had my electronic Federal return rejected, apparently the four digit code was incorrect (I never touched it, just left that up to TT as I have done for years). At that point I gave up and printed hard copy to file. Never did hear back from Intuit, Apple or TT.

Mar 21, 2020 12:23 PM in response to tooners77

Turbotax 2019 Premier installed and working fine on HighSierra 10.16.6 . Upgraded to TT Home and Business offer while doing my return. After Upgrade, TT blew up with error, now Turbotax will not open. I've used CD or downloaded application. Removed previous versions first. Try to open, get dialog box, "Wait until we see if everything is up to date." Then nothing.

I downloaded Home and Business and deleted Premier version ,,,,,but have same problem.

TT 2018 opens and updates fine.

I'm running a late 2009 Mac.

Apple and TurboTax seem to have a problem here........I'm 6 hours into a return I will probably loose and have spent 4 hours with Turbotax support. They want to send me a new download that will take 40 minutes....and probably not fix anything

Help

Mar 21, 2020 1:37 PM in response to ZoomController

yep, there is an issue and both apple and TT are pointing fingers at one another. However, many of us have had success by removing all of the library files (earlier post in this thread) then re-installing. Then, when it re-opens and you get the error box to send the report, do not respond, just close that window without sending the report. That's what helped me.

Good luck

Catalina 10.15.3 and Turbotax 2019 won't open.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.