Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Browsers (Chrome & Safari) hanging after awake

Frequently, awaking my sleeping MacBookPro (running the latest Catalina 10.15.3) results in no new HTTP/S connectivity. With Chrome, I get "Page Unresponsive" when opening a new tab. And even Safari just hangs trying to load a page.

I have this problem accessing both Internet pages as well as local IP pages, so the problem is not likely DNS related. I do have other network connectivity -- I can ping from the terminal, mail still functions, and even some open tabs like Gmail are miraculously still functioning. However, some tabs are unresponsive, and any new tabs are unresponsive.

Since the problem isn't limited to Chrome, this must be a MacOS issue.

I have to Force Quit Chrome, and then even a clean Shutdown/Restart doesn't work -- I need to force shutdown too! Then finally, when everything has booted back up, I can access the internet successfully again.

This is incredibly frustrating and annoying and I'm losing a lot of valuable time thanks to this unreliability. This unreliability seems to have gotten much worse ever since upgrading to Catalina -- however, it has also been much worse just over the past week or so.

I have very few extensions running in Chrome, and none in Safari. I have upgraded to the latest Chrome version (80.0.3987.87). I tried disabling Avast Web Shield, but that did not help.

It feels like the application is asking the OS for a network resource and is hanging. Would there be a way to validate this hypothesis?

This seems similar to other discussion threads: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250196850

How can this be fixed?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 10:16 AM

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

Needless to say, if you are using any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", or "Internet security" products including "banking security", anything at all in that broad category of utterly useless garbage, don't. A lot of things won't work if you do.

That includes "Avast Web Shield." It is not sufficient to merely "disable" it. It—and anything resembling it—must be uninstalled in strict accordance with its instructions. Rule 1 of Macs is don't install junk.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2020 10:16 AM in response to awhit4d

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

Needless to say, if you are using any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", or "Internet security" products including "banking security", anything at all in that broad category of utterly useless garbage, don't. A lot of things won't work if you do.

That includes "Avast Web Shield." It is not sufficient to merely "disable" it. It—and anything resembling it—must be uninstalled in strict accordance with its instructions. Rule 1 of Macs is don't install junk.

Browsers (Chrome & Safari) hanging after awake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.