Intermittently unable to load websites for a few minutes in Safari

I asked this question before, but all I got was a suggestion to update the macOS, which wasn't actually relevant… The problem has persisted from 12.2 through to 13.2.1! The problem has occurred 3 times in the last 24 hours, and most apps won't launch while the computer is in this state.

I need some pointers as to where to go next please… I've had this problem for a while now, and it has persisted across an update from Monterey to Ventura. (Started in macOS 12.2 within a fortnight of getting this machine in March 2022.)

Every now and then Safari will not be able to load any webpages. I can still ping and do DNS lookups from the Terminal. The problem goes away after a few minutes. I can not predict when it will happen – I thought it was after waking from sleep, but it isn't…

When the machine is in this state, if I try to launch Google Chrome I get a message that "Google Chrome can not be opened". Once the problem has cleared, Google works fine – but if it was open when the problem started it also loses the ability to load webpages.

I've tried "sudo lsof -n -I TCP" to see what has open ports, but it also hangs during the fault. Activity Monitor's giving me no clues either.

iStat Menus also hangs during this issue, but quitting it doesn't help. Turning off Wi-Fi doesn't help – I have a LAN connection too. Other devices (iPad, etc) work normally during these outrages.

I'd be grateful even for a decent Google search to suggest more troubleshooting steps! I'd love to be able to figure out what exactly is temporarily hanging when this happens…

Thanks!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 9:33 PM

Rich Walsh wrote:

I asked this question before, but all I got was a suggestion to update the macOS, which wasn't actually relevant… The problem has persisted from 12.2 through to 13.2.1! The problem has occurred 3 times in the last 24 hours, and most apps won't launch while the computer is in this state.

I need some pointers as to where to go next please… I've had this problem for a while now, and it has persisted across an update from Monterey to Ventura. (Started in macOS 12.2 within a fortnight of getting this machine in March 2022.)

Every now and then Safari will not be able to load any webpages. I can still ping and do DNS lookups from the Terminal. The problem goes away after a few minutes. I can not predict when it will happen – I thought it was after waking from sleep, but it isn't…

When the machine is in this state, if I try to launch Google Chrome I get a message that "Google Chrome can not be opened". Once the problem has cleared, Google works fine – but if it was open when the problem started it also loses the ability to load webpages.

I've tried "sudo lsof -n -I TCP" to see what has open ports, but it also hangs during the fault. Activity Monitor's giving me no clues either.

iStat Menus also hangs during this issue, but quitting it doesn't help. Turning off Wi-Fi doesn't help – I have a LAN connection too. Other devices (iPad, etc) work normally during these outrages.

I'd be grateful even for a decent Google search to suggest more troubleshooting steps! I'd love to be able to figure out what exactly is temporarily hanging when this happens…

Thanks!

It is always relevant —

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.3.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

if no insight or resolve—

you can get a good look at your User/System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

ref: If Safari doesn't open a page or work as expected on your Mac

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2023 9:33 PM in response to Rich Walsh

Rich Walsh wrote:

Thanks!

It is always relevant —

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.3.1

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

if no insight or resolve—

you can get a good look at your User/System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

ref: If Safari doesn't open a page or work as expected on your Mac

Apr 17, 2023 2:13 AM in response to Rich Walsh

In fact, there are a number of similar issues dotted across multiple forums going back at least 12 years, eg: Internet Drops Often But Can Still Ping R… - Apple Community. Some even have some decent troubleshooting information, beyond the stock response of "uninstall everything and don't use your machine": https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/can-ping-but-not-browse-intermittent.1211169/.

I haven't found a solution yet, as the few reports I can find that haven't just been dismissed with the stock responses have found no common cause. It's not the hardware adaptor in my case as I've stopped using it but the issue persists. Ironically, EtreCheckPro is completely useless as it won't itself launch during one of these incidents (see: NOT A SAFARI ISSUE)… After the event, nothing much of note.

Again, looking for a troubleshooting approach that can be deployed during an outage. The Terminal command I listed above doesn't in fact work anyway: it was wrong in the forum post I got it from. I might try traceroute next time, however I would like some help finding the correct tool if anyone does have an idea? Please?

My next two wild geese to chase are:

1. Possibly this coincided with a DHCP lease renewal when it happened just now…
  2. Maybe, the access control via Circle that's part of my router isn't helping – it's the only part of the router that is device-specific, so could affect this Mac but no others

I'll start logging the times and comparing them with the router logs. Once I've ruled out DHCP coincidence I'll try bypassing Circle.

Apr 12, 2023 8:16 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks.

The machine is set to automatically update the OS, so I'm not sure why I've had to manually intervene to trigger the update to 13.3.1 today… I don't think it's the OS though as it's persisted across multiple updates, including a major one from 12 to 13. I also think I'd find more reports of this problem online if it were an issue fixed by a system update – I haven't found anything similar.

It's not a Safari issue as it affects everything that needs to access the Internet when launching. Something makes apps think the machine is online, but then stops them connecting to launch.

EtreCheck is a really useful steer: I will add that to my arsenal. I'm running Little Snitch in demo mode too, hoping to see a huge spike on one process when a "hang" occurs – but nothing yet.

I might have an insight though, thanks to you: I thought I'd pop into Safe Mode just to clear caches, but oddly my computer immediately kernel panics after a Safe Boot…! That's not right. After a few attempts I think it might be my Anker USB-C adaptor that's causing these kernel panics, and so maybe the other issue too? Specifically, according to EtreCheck I've had 6 kernel panics this month (most of them today):

panic(cpu 1 caller 0xfffffe00225899c0): busy timeout[0], (60s): 'IOSCSILogicalUnitNub' (a,4020001) @IOService.cpp:5645
Panicked task 0xfffffe169caf1978: 252 pages, 4 threads: pid 387: watch dogd

After disconnecting the adaptor I've been able to boot into Safe Mode successfully. I'll stop using it for a while and see if the hanging goes away. It might be wishful thinking, but I think the problem has only occurred at home, whilst connected to the Anker.

Thanks again for the nudge: I've been using Macs for 30 years, and spent 10 years maintaining them for work – but perhaps I've become a little complacent as it's been so long since anything has gone wrong!

Intermittently unable to load websites for a few minutes in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.