Safari will not allow me to visit any websites on 2005 PowerMac G5, OS 10.4.11

Hi. Long story short I fired up my old (and working perfectly when I put it away) 2005 PowerMac G5.

I never had this problem before, and everything else is working fine on the computer, just as when I put it away, but it now does a couple things it never used to do.

• Literally every website I try to go to (except Apple's) it gives me a error saying something like it can not connect because it it can not make sure the server is secure. I mean I literally can go nowhere so far except google search and Apple. And the google page looks weird. Like old or something. It doesn't look like what I am used to on my other newer computer.

All network settings are as they were and working fine and I am hardwired Ethernet.

• The other odd issue is even though I have time set automatically and I'm hardwired ethernet, every time I turn the computer on now after turning it off (and unplugging it from the wall too) it tells me my time is set to prior to 2001 and this may cause issues, lol. Yet when I look at the date and time, its spot on correct and current to today. When I close that warning, it never comes back (even after reset), until after I turn it off and unplug it from the wall, then later turn it back on. Does this point to my internal battery went bad ? Or is this normal if the computer is unplugged from wall ? I do not remember it doing this when it was brand new, I felt I remember it holding the time no matter what.

Thanks for any help - Much appreciated

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 21, 2023 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2023 6:53 PM

#1. So not CR2032, but looks like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Saft-Size-Lithium-Batteries-3-6V/dp/B004UHUGGC

#2. TenFourFox is a browser yes, no way for old Safari to keep up with today's internet. TenFourFox was kept up until recently, simply the most up to date browser for 10.4.x

Similar questions

7 replies

May 21, 2023 1:59 PM in response to Roulette Records

On the Time Date it's because the PRAM Battery is dead, a CR2032 I believe, If Sys Prefs>Date & time are set to Automatically get Time from Internet those 2 things together explain that part.

Now Internet, that is a lot tougher, it's Security requirements are leaving much newer computers dead in the water.

TenFourFox is your best hope...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tenfourfox/files/fpr32.5/

May 21, 2023 6:42 PM in response to BDAqua

Hey thanks a lot for the quick response and the insightful help.

So #1, cool, I was hoping the battery is all that was. I will replace it asap. Oh and I imagine that is the battery that I see right inside when I take the side panel and plastic shell thing off correct ? Looks like a short little guy ?

#2 - Wow, ok so this internet thing is simply a real issue with no actual solution other than switching to a less aggressive browser ? I am imagining that TenFourFox is a browser correct ? I never heard of it, but after a quick google search I am thinking thats what it is ?

So there is no way to go into my settings and tell Safari and/or my computer to just relax and take me to any site I want ? I thought it just might be some proxy settings I could manipulate.

Safari will not allow me to visit any websites on 2005 PowerMac G5, OS 10.4.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.