Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod iTunes sync issue

I know there are issues with the whole playlist art not syncing, well maybe I'm the only one but now if the iPod and iTunes are connected and I make changes to a playlist and disconnect some of the changes are not transfered to the iPod. I wish I could go back a year to where i didn't have any of these issues before updates.

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 8:46 AM

The issue will be that the Sync has finished before you managed to make the changes. The solution is to make the changes before you connect the iPod to iTunes.

The purpose of the Sync is for any changes made in your iTunes Library while the iPod was not connected to it, and any "changes" made on the iPod while it wasn't connected to its Library get synchronised between the two. In other words, both iTunes and your iPod end up with the same information.

Information about "changes" on the iPod include date and time of the last play, the number of times played, changes to the star rating of a song and modifications to playlists on the iPod, which is all copied back to your iTunes Library. One of the effects of such changes on the iPod may be to automatically edit Smart Playlists in the Library, and then copy that edit back to the iPod.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 8:46 AM in response to delton81

The issue will be that the Sync has finished before you managed to make the changes. The solution is to make the changes before you connect the iPod to iTunes.

The purpose of the Sync is for any changes made in your iTunes Library while the iPod was not connected to it, and any "changes" made on the iPod while it wasn't connected to its Library get synchronised between the two. In other words, both iTunes and your iPod end up with the same information.

Information about "changes" on the iPod include date and time of the last play, the number of times played, changes to the star rating of a song and modifications to playlists on the iPod, which is all copied back to your iTunes Library. One of the effects of such changes on the iPod may be to automatically edit Smart Playlists in the Library, and then copy that edit back to the iPod.

Feb 7, 2020 10:14 AM in response to delton81

delton81 wrote:

I would buy that but im only moving items around on the iPod, in other words I'm going from one playlist on the iPod to another. If I can do that without the iPod connected to iTunes then I'm missing something.

Then you are missing something.

Since you're using Sync, it's reasonable to assume that:

• the Playlists are in your iTunes Library - and were sycnhronised with the iPod (in other words, copied to the iPod)
  • if you then make changes to the Playlist on you iPod, let a Sync synchronise those changes with your iTunes Library first and then that same Sync can copy those changes back to the iPod
  • if you now wish to make further changes to that playlist, do so in the iTunes Library, not on the iPod. Then use another Sync to copy those changes onto the iPod (that is, to synchronise with the iPod). To make this second Sync take place, click on the Apply button in the lower right corner of iTunes

The sort of changes you propose (editing playlists on an iPod, from within iTunes) mean that your iTunes Library and the iPod will no longer in sync, even though synchronisng is what you claim that you're trying to do.

I'll say this again, in a different way: make the changes to your Playlists in your iTunes Library and then connect the iPod to iTunes so that a Sync (the very thing you've set it up to do) is allowed to do its work.

If there is a change to a playlist that is dependent upon (for example) you seeing what is on the iPod, by all means connect the iPod to iTunes but, let a Sync take place, then make the changes - in the iTunes Library, not on the iPod - then Sync again.

What you are trying to do is like being a back seat driver; in other words, someone else is driving and instead of you telling the driver which way to go, you're trying to steer the car yourself, even though the driver has their hands on the wheel.

Feb 7, 2020 9:24 AM in response to the fiend

I would buy that but im only moving items around on the iPod, in other words I'm going from one playlist on the iPod to another. If I can do that without the iPod connected to iTunes then I'm missing something. I know it can be done one by one just using the iPod. I see the changes on the screen in iTunes, once disconnected the changes did not take on the iPod.

iPod iTunes sync issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.