Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse dying symptoms?

In the past week, I've had problems getting my Magic Mouse (1) to connect to my Mac Pro. Once it's connected it works great, but it's a struggle to get that handshake at boot time or waking from sleep.

I'm trying to determine whether this is a normal symptom of a device dying after 10 years of service or if the problem is somewhere else in the setup. So here's a description of the set up:

• 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 with Bluetooth module disconnected from motherboard
  • Broadcom USB dongle with Bluetooth 4.0
  • Mouse is the only bluetooth device
  • This setup has worked flawlessly for many years

Evolution of the symptoms:

• At first, I noticed it took longer for mouse to connect on wake (10-15 seconds instead of instantly)
  • A few days ago, the mouse did not connect automatically. But using another device to go to the Bluetooth menu > Device > Mouse > Connect worked.
  • Eventually that method failed and I had to reset bluetooth, forget all devices, and try different methods to eventually get the mouse to reconnect.
  • At that time, I noticed the following error in Bluetooth Explorer: updateChainPower error: -3903. But not sure if it's related to the problem or if it's been there all along.

So I'm trying to identify the most likely culprit: the mouse, the dongle, or a software issue.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 2:17 PM

I purchased a new bluetooth dongle last week and had no problem since. I zapped the PRAM around the same time for an unrelated issue, so there's a slight change it might have been the PRAM, but since the new dongle works better than the old one ever did, I'm keeping it.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2020 2:17 PM in response to EricDu

I purchased a new bluetooth dongle last week and had no problem since. I zapped the PRAM around the same time for an unrelated issue, so there's a slight change it might have been the PRAM, but since the new dongle works better than the old one ever did, I'm keeping it.

Feb 9, 2020 8:12 AM in response to EricDu

Updates:

1. The updateChainPower error: -3903 error shows up even when the bluetooth dongle is disconnected and the mouse turned off. So I think it's unrelated to the problem.
  2. Using [option-shift] Bluetooth > Debug > Reset the Bluetooth module seems to reliably reconnect the mouse most of the time.

I cannot find any info of what that reset does. Does it simply delete the plist or does it do anything on the hardware level? If so, I might get a new BT dongle which is cheaper than a new mouse.

Magic Mouse dying symptoms?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.